Hello everyone!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ArletaT

Hello everyone!

Post by ArletaT »

Hi everyone!

My name is Arleta and I am a brand new IRN owner. I brought my girl home this past Monday evening after an 8 hour car ride. She was such a trooper most of the time. Aside from initial freak out when the car started moving, she settled down nicely for the rest of the trip. She even closed her eyes here and there for a bit. We talked most of the way, listened to some music and just observed each other.

She is exactly 4 months old today - she hatched on April 7th, 2014. She has been hand-fed and socialized at the breeder. This didn't keep her from trying to chomp off my hand anytime she got a chance. I found this forum last night, looking for help, since my hand can only take so much biting. The threads I read were very helpful and so far we have had a much better morning than ever, with not one bite :). So glad to have you all and your experiences to read through and help my sweetie bird be a loved member of our family!

As for the rest of our 'flock', I have a husband and 2 kids (ages 11 and 8), and a 12.5 year-old Golden Retriever. The dog had not shown much of any interest in the bird, and vice versa. I'm considering it a good thing for now :)

Anyway, I'm very glad to have found this forum and I will be checking back frequently!

Great to meet you all!

Arleta
Arleta

---------
Turquoise IRN, Coral
hatched, 4/7/2014
Wessel Gordon

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

hi Arleta

Welcome to the forum.

I recently had to catch 3 of my IRN's by hand and ended up with 7 bites deep enough to draw blood so I know how that feels, lol.

As for avoiding those nasty bites: patience and getting to know her moods is the only solution. All birds I've encountered so far will warn you that either they're in a bad mood or that you just made a stupid move...it's up to you to know the bird well enough to know those warnings.

I hope you enjoy her.

Wessel
GeveZe

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by GeveZe »

Welcome Arleta =)