newbee here PLS Help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

dcads29775

newbee here PLS Help

Post by dcads29775 »

Hi all Picked up Polly 2 days ago. And i would like you to take a look at her feathers pls.
Do these look normal to you as Polly keeps nibbling, she could be moulting as she is losing small fluffy white feathers. reason why im asking is the place i got Polly from had cats and today i noticed something tiny black running under Pollies feathers close to her neck. It is worrying me a bit. Would putting a bowl of water in the cage for a bath or mist her help. I dont know if she will like the water. She is constantly preening.
Attachments
20140715_163028.jpg
20140715_163028.jpg (49.68 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
20140715_224022.jpg
20140715_224022.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Donovan

Re: newbee here PLS Help

Post by Donovan »

well, how old is the bird...

and there's only one way to find out if she likes water
MissK

Post by MissK »

today i noticed something tiny black running under Pollies feathers close to her neck.
Bathing and misting will not evict a parasite. Speak to your vet.
-MissK
dcads29775

Post by dcads29775 »

Hi. The previous owner said she is nearly 2. As for vets I am taking her tomorrow.
dcads29775

Post by dcads29775 »

Hi all vets says she just molting :D Also I gave her a little cooked rice and tiny bit of cooked chicken. She loved the rice, as soon as she moved from the bowl i removed it and replaced it with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper. she loved it :D.

She is now letting me stroke the back of her neck, head, cheek, around her eye and the top of her beak, whilst doing this she makes a really cute squeek and moves her head around to positon my finger where she wants it lol. I have noticed with her bird seed food, she will pick out the sunflower seeds and tend to leave the rest. I understand these can be fattening so I take a load out myself and discard them, am i correct in doing this?
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

If Polly eats the other seeds it is okay but l think you should make changes over diet gradually, my bird an Alex hen eats mostly sun flower seeds but a lot of fruit and vegeatbles as well, l weigh her every month and her weight is constant, the vet says she was under weight, so l do not worry about the sun flower seeds.
dcads29775

Post by dcads29775 »

Thanks AJPeter I wont worry as much
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm still kinda worried about this little black running thing.
-MissK
dcads29775

Post by dcads29775 »

yer me to I told the vet about it and they said well theres nothing there now.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

She is now letting me stroke the back of her neck, head, cheek, around her eye and the top of her beak, whilst doing this she makes a really cute squeek and moves her head around to positon my finger where she wants it lol.
Just out of curiosity, does she arch her neck when you are doing this? If she does, you may want to limit how much you do this. This COULD be female posturing for a potential mate, and since you are the one doing the stroking, well, I think we can see where I am going with this. Once she realizes that you are NOT a potential mate, it could lead to biting and snappiness.
I have noticed with her bird seed food, she will pick out the sunflower seeds and tend to leave the rest. I understand these can be fattening so I take a load out myself and discard them, am i correct in doing this?
I would pick out the sunflower seeds and use them for treats :)
~Dana

dcads29775

Post by dcads29775 »

Hi yes she does put her head back. As for sunflower seeds, thats a good idea u gave me. I can use them with her taming. TY
MissK

Post by MissK »

Here's a link to a post with a great photo of a courting pair.

http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ting+dance

There is another photo somewhere on here. I pulled it for my own reference but I didn't credit it, so I don't think I should repost it.
-MissK
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

That is a great picture. And exactly what Olive, née Oliver, was doing that caused us to restructure our thinking on her gender :lol:
~Dana