More advice please

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

DLR1974

More advice please

Post by DLR1974 »

Hi i would be grateful of some more advice please, I have 2 indian ringnecks male and female I am told but I had the female in January thought she was lonely so had male to keep her company in March, she will not accept him in the cage or let him play with the toys but this is fine that's not my problem as they are in seperate cages but in the same room, my problem is is that I let them out soon as we get up in the morning and they go back in when I go to work which is about 4 hours after they have come out but after she has been in for about half an hour she has now started to sit in her food bowl and dig the whole lot out so she then has none left, does anybody know why she has started doing this as I'm very baffled as if it was because of the male would she have not done this when I first had him? Also when they are out she does this weird noise and kind of jumps in front of him with her wings slightly open and her eyes constantly focusing, I would be really grateful for any replies, thanks Dawn
bridgey

Re: More advice please

Post by bridgey »

I had similar happen. I took both out of aviary into a 'holding cage', put male in first, wait bout 1 hr, then add the female into 'his' territory.
Melika

Post by Melika »

DLR1974 wrote:Hi i would be grateful of some more advice please, I have 2 indian ringnecks male and female I am told but I had the female in January thought she was lonely so had male to keep her company in March, she will not accept him in the cage or let him play with the toys but this is fine that's not my problem as they are in seperate cages but in the same room, my problem is is that I let them out soon as we get up in the morning and they go back in when I go to work which is about 4 hours after they have come out but after she has been in for about half an hour she has now started to sit in her food bowl and dig the whole lot out so she then has none left, does anybody know why she has started doing this as I'm very baffled as if it was because of the male would she have not done this when I first had him? Also when they are out she does this weird noise and kind of jumps in front of him with her wings slightly open and her eyes constantly focusing, I would be really grateful for any replies, thanks Dawn

It's hard to say. How old are they? It's possible she's saying hi to the male when she jumps in front. She could be 'nesting' OR she just feels like digging out her bowl (Hane did that for a while when he was younger too). Birds are birds and baffling sometimes.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
DLR1974

Post by DLR1974 »

Hi the female is 1 in June and male is 7 months so thought they were possibly too young to mate