Hello All, new member, new owner!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

RE4P3R

Hello All, new member, new owner!

Post by RE4P3R »

Hello All, my name is Rhys,
Me and my partner have recently acquired ourselves our very first indian ringneck, his name is Mario.
I bought him a few days ago from a breeder, he was part of a breeding pair and is about 4 years old.
I have had his wings clipped (professionally by an actual vet, not just some guy with a pair of scissors and no care in the world) and he was very well behaved.
I had his wings clipped because my 6 month old cockatiel flew away just a couple of days ago. And it was her first flight too.
Anyway,
In the couple of days we have had him, he has gone from being very timid, and biting (not too hard, but enough to make you say OW!)
To being relatively calm, and just generally seeming ok with everything, no longer biting, and I have started to teach him step up. And we're slowly getting there.
He understands the concept, but when removing him from his cage, it's a little bit of a chase, and trying to get him to step up off his perch after him sitting there for a while, he will just sit, and kind of look at you like... Hmmm , nah, maybe later.
Eventually he pops up, which is all-right.
I suppose it is only in the first few days and I think that's still some decent progress.
He even picked up kiss kiss pretty quick. (He will give you kisses haha)

But presently, He doesn't really chirp much, I mean in total I think it's only about 3 or 4 times really.
Other than that he doesn't say peep.
Again, my first impression would just be him getting used to his new environment (when we first brought arial home, she wouldn't stop chirping. All day every day)
But I suppose that's the difference between a cockatiel and a ringneck.
As far as his diet is concerned, I purchased some parrot seed mix from our local safeway, and put a red apple (whole) in his cage, along with a chunk of corn (un cooked - I don't really know if this is ok, other sites I've read said it's fine) along with a couple of strawberries, grapes, peas and corn, and some carrot at the bottom of his cage (he likes to rummage around the bottom)
But so far all I can really tell he has eaten is some of the sunflower seeds etc from the parrot mix.
I plan to put some lettuce and stuff in there, but I'm not really sure what he prefers...

What would be some advice to a first time IRP owner that you guys might have?
I'm certainly very keen to keep the training and bonding up (right now he's been sitting next to me for the past 2 hours or so watching TV haha) I'm basically trying to get him comfortable with our presence.
Any information would certainly be great!
Especially on how I can get the trick/reward system going - he will take the seed from my hand chew and drop it, and with fruits - he will kind of just lick them haha.

Also, any advice on how I should start teaching him how to talk?
- RE4P3R

http://www.DarksideSystems.com.au
For All Your Web Design Needs!
Donovan

Re: Hello All, new member, new owner!

Post by Donovan »

It's very important that he is never made to do anything he doesnt want to do. Don't make him come out of his cage, just open the door and let him decide on his own when to come out.

He may not realize a whole apple is food. Maybe take some tiny pieces and mix it in with his seed. Also seed should be only a small aspect of his diet. Check the diet section of the forum. There is a huge thread on what to feed them and probably tips on how to make them interested.

And again don't make him do anything he doesn't want to do. The minute he shows signs of not wanting to do something like be removed from the cage then stop or you will ruin your relationship with your bird and cause him psychological issues in the process. Find ways of luring him and making every experience great.
RE4P3R

Post by RE4P3R »

Alright, Definitely taking this into consideration.

I cut up his apple this morning, and mixed it in with his fruit bowl (Though he has access to seeds, i put another container in there with some fruit and stuff) made it readily available.
Also put some around the corn and strawberries.

He seemed a bit more chirpy this morning, but when i went over and had a look, our bloody cat was sitting next to the cage, peering in - so he may have just been telling the little rat to go away haha.
This, is Mario :)
This, is Mario :)

And tonight, when im going to start the training session, ill just leave his cage door open and wait for him to come towards me, ill try coax him with some fruit, and see how it goes.

presently im only able to signal a good behavior with good boy, but i have a clicker coming in the mail, and im very keen to start clicker training too. Just need to find the right reward that will make him want to work for it.
- RE4P3R

Donovan

Post by Donovan »

clickers are definitely tried and true.. I used one for a while but eventually decided that my tone of voice or certain words were just as good because at the end of it all you still give them a treat.. so whether it's a click or a certain word or a tone of voice.. they'll make the same association.

and definitely remember not to rush things with him. .. Like.. if you want him out of the cage.. just open the door.. if he doesn't come out.. then lure him out with his favorite food or toy near the edge of the opening.. or just outside it...
you absolutely -must- do things at his pace and on his terms. All you can do is make him think that some things were his idea.. like coming out of the cage..
MissK

Post by MissK »

Wow, this sounds like it's going to be a great story! I love how you got a second hand breeder! I love how you're watching TV together. I hope you'll let us know how this bird does at breeding season, if his history leads him to behave in any certain way, or if he takes it in stride.
-MissK
RE4P3R

Post by RE4P3R »

I didn't actually get the pair, though i would have loved to, i just don't have the room.

maybe sometime in the future, it would certainly be nice.
i actually posted a training update here:
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=19269

things have been going great! a lot of progress (In my opinion) in only a week.
- RE4P3R

SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

He's a beauty, by the way :)
Dana
~Dana