Beak colour

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

knnugentsmith

Beak colour

Post by knnugentsmith »

Hi I bought a 4 month old green ringneck about 6 weeks ago and have noticed that his/her beak has gone from a mottled red/black to a funny red/orange colour, I cant get close enough for a decent picture as it was aviary kept and not hand fed so its still very scared of us, and also our bird wasn't tagged its not got the ring around its foot, is this ok? so was wondering if my little beauty is ok, thanks
Attachments
Teeki
Teeki
SunniDai

Re: Beak colour

Post by SunniDai »

Now keep in mind that I am not an expert, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that your fid looks to be older than four weeks old. If he were that young, his eyes would be darker, no ring around the color. If his tail feathers are long, that also shows age. His beak color is darker like that of an African Ringneck rather than an Indian Ringneck, which tend to have beaks that are more orange.
All that being said, his beak color looks to be normal for a little African ringneck. My two Africans have darker beaks while my two Indians have brighter orange ones.
Hope this helps.
Dana
~Dana

knnugentsmith

Post by knnugentsmith »

Thanks for ur quick reply, but Teeki is 5 months now we bought him/her about a month ago now would that make a difference? and Teeki's beak is black at the bottom but quite Orange on the top, we bought it off of a breeder who never had much contact with it and only brought it into the house a week before sale, Teeki has become a big member of the family already in such a short space of time, so am just hoping that my baby isn't poorly :)
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Sorry if the pictures are huge. Haven't quite mastered the whole uploading pics thing :)
Anyway, the lutino is an Indian Ringneck. The first pic is of the day I brought her home, and she was almost six weeks old. Notice how black her eyes are. The second one of her is when she was around six months old. Her eyes now have a ring around them. Also notice how orange her beak is.
The little green ones are African Ringnecks, and notice how dark their beaks are. They are around four years old now. So to me, Teeki's beak looks normal. :)
Dana
~Dana

knnugentsmith

Post by knnugentsmith »

Brilliant thank u, teeki has a orange/yellow ring around the eye would he/she have that at this age? Thanks for Ur help :)
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

According to what I can tell with my own fids, my lutino got the rings around her eyes at around six months. So yes.
~Dana

knnugentsmith

Post by knnugentsmith »

Thank u!!! I can start to relax now lol :D