Hello Again!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Azure

Hello Again!

Post by Azure »

Hello again!

This account is very old now, and once long time ago I made a few posts but probably not many people remember me. Back then I just loved IRN a LOT, but could not get the birds as my mum didn't think I could take care of them (being in the middle/end of high school and all). Having no bird of my own and just giving out a bit of advice here and there as well as looking at other birds soon meant that after a while I stopped coming on.

Now, a bit older, I am finally able to take care of some birds! So I have turned back to what I fancied and still love- Indian Ringnecks! Now having set my eyes on a violet and cobalt cock, I am back to the community! (Partly due to forgetting much of the stuff I once learnt! I remember things vaguely but as I haven't touched IRN or the forums for 2 years....) So yeah, I'm back as a new user and have a few questions!

Like what size cage would be the minimum for 2 birds (males)?

Thanks for reading that!
Azure
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
SkyeBerry

Re: Hello Again!

Post by SkyeBerry »

Hello Azure. I am new here - just a couple months - but wanted to welcome you back. I am going to let someone else get to you regarding what size would be recommended for two male IRN. There is a thread about choosing a cage size under housing, but it is for one bird. The first thing that comes into my mind is 'Are you sure you want to start with two?' But of course, I do not know what parrot experience you have had with other birds you own or someone else's.
Mary
Azure

Post by Azure »

Thanks for the welcome SkyeBerry!

It's a great community here isn't it? Loved talking here before, only I couldn't afford to spend time afterwards around here busy with school and all!
I know its a very different thing for me to start out with two birds rather than one but I'm fairly sure of what I'm doing there. I also do know the rule of thumb to buy the biggest cage your money can afford (I am thinking of buying a large cage but was curious at what was the minimum that people would say xD)
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

There is a thread under housing titled something like 'what size cage?' But is referring to one bird. Personally, I would go more than double what a single bird requires minimum. If you get two birds, will they be babies from the same clutch? Adult birds that are already buddies? Two adult birds that do not know one another? I think some of these answers would influence how I met their immediate needs. You could ask a breeder what size cage they would recommend. You could also use two cages and have them close together. When you are away you would have no worries about squabbles and when you are home, lots of supervised play time out of the cage. I started my two this last way. They spent their free time investigating each others cages. Neither seemed to mind and then they started sleeping in the same cage together. This worked for four years but now they are mature and there is the odd squawk when one irritates the other. They are also of different species. IRN & sun conure. Shortly, I am bringing back the second cage.
Mary