Hi from uk I have 2 blue irn's aprox 5-6 month old

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Skyler & blue

Hi from uk I have 2 blue irn's aprox 5-6 month old

Post by Skyler & blue »

Hi all I'm new here and would like to introduce myself, my name is Sarah and on Friday I brought home two beautiful blue irn's. I've named them sky and blue. So here's the story so far they were not hand reared so I've not tried to handle them as I've read they need couple of weeks to settle! The first day sky found a perch and happily sat there most of the day observing new surroundings, while blue hung on the cage in the corner most of the day they both never ate the first day I covered them about 7.30 I think they settled but never ate. The second day blue decided to sit on the perch with sky they both had a drink but still no food, so I covered them and they ate for almost an hour hurray! although they only ate the seed mix no fruit or veg. So the third day I mixed some celery with green beans apples and seed mix eventually when they started eating again they just threw the fruit and veg out. So that's it so far any advice welcome. also been reading a lot of the topics here before bringing them home and it's been very helpful so thanks :D
Attachments
Blue on the left and sky on the right
Blue on the left and sky on the right
image.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
SkyeBerry

Re: Hi from uk I have 2 blue irn's aprox 5-6 month old

Post by SkyeBerry »

Very pretty birds and welcome! Sorry no one has responded yet. I generally look at unanswered posts but today is the first day I have seen this. I am going to be brief, which you will find is unusual for me :wink: , but it is late here. I hope they are eating much better by now. Have you been looking at the droppings? It may seem odd, but counting them to see if they are increasing in number? Birds can lose weight very quickly especially when stressed. Getting a new home is definitely stressful no matter how quickly they adapt. Did you have them examined by a vet before you brought them home? If not, you may want to consider taking them in to get this done as well as to get their weights and see if the vet thinks they are getting thin. If they were birds you could handle (and maybe you can do this) I would recommend you weigh them every couple days. A loss of 10% is something to be concerned about. I hate to post a reply with something so negative but it is now April 6 and I am very concerned if they are not eating much better by now and being more active.
Mary
Skyler & blue

Post by Skyler & blue »

Hi thanks for your reply their doing better now I think it was just a case of settling and finding out what they do and don't like still a work In progress but getting there I've had them home now for a week sat and they seem happy they have a little fly around for an hour or so every day and will just go back in the cage of their own accord (so that's good) also I will be taking them to an aviary vet soon I was just wanting to let them settle before stresseing them out again as I cant handle them at the moment the most they are comfortable with is talking to them close to the cage but as they were wild I think this is progress early days but I'll take it slow and hopefully after a few months I will have them taking food (hopefully) they have eaten much more since first two days veg fruit seed and even pellet and couple of almonds they like fruit better but I give them veg first befor fruit otherwise they just won't touch the veg? Thanks for your help I will bear it in mind and they will definitely be seeing the vet soon! This is a picture of them on top of their cage as you can see sky's tail needs to grow back it was like this when we brought her home they do get water spayed and clean themselves most days and have improved a lot someone mentioned feather up so I'll start giving that too! :-)
Attachments
image.jpg
TiffandKari

Post by TiffandKari »

Hello :)
Sky and Blue are absolutely beautiful! :D
Best of luck with them, I'm excited to hear more about them :)
Tiff and Kari

SkyeBerry

Post by SkyeBerry »

I am so glad things are going well! It sounds like you must have posted elsewhere and gotten some responses. Good! I really enjoy my time on the forum. It is a bit of a secret but I think it is a little addicting for some of us. :wink:
Mary
Skyler & blue

Post by Skyler & blue »

Hi all thanks for your replys I did post an update after my first post just to let everyone know they were eating better. There is one other thing I'd like to ask some people say they give their birds porridge I read somewhere that they shouldn't have milk Is this true and is it a special type of porridge as my two daughters have porridge most mornings so would be nice to include our birds. Thanks in advance guys :-)