I am new to handling baby birds

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ayshtoffee

I am new to handling baby birds

Post by ayshtoffee »

Hello people
I love birds. This us the first time I am hand raising two baby indian ring necks. The youngest is 2 weeks old while the other one is 3 weeks old.
I want advice on matters such as how many times do I feed them both currently Ii feed them thrice a day and do I keep them apart or together because the 3 week old chick keeps on falling on the younger one and it looks like the smaller chick is finding it difficult.
I would really appreciate if some one helps me out.
I also have a doubt about the younger chick to me it looks like the stomach area is too big compared to the older one and I feel its not pooping properly compared to the 3 week chick but its crop is emptying out.

please help me out and thank you.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: I am new to handling baby birds

Post by ringneck »

Hello and welcome to our ringneck family.
Sounds like you have your hands full, huh? Feeding two babies is a lot of work! :) I know firsthand how demanding and tedious the work is. You've asked some wonderful questions and I'd be glad to answer. :O)
But before I get into your answers I highly recommend you find a local breeder who can help you hand feed these little guys. Especially since you mentioned this was your first time. So many things can go wrong. If you can't find any breeders or vets around I'll post a link to a wonderful video that will help guide you.
http://www.indianringneck.com/handfeed/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1HIhTaFk8c
1) Should the babies be kept apart--the answer is no. Both babies are only a week apart and the gap is not that far apart. It is important baby ringnecks be with their brothers and sister to snuggle. It gives them comfort and helps them lean to accept they are birds.
2) Why does the youngest baby have a large tummy? If you look at that link I sent you, scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see a large tummy on one of the babies I am holding. This is quite normal and the tummy will start to descend once the babies mature. If you feel he is sick, I'd take him to the vet immediately.
Again, welcome to our family! :OP
Please keep us updated! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes, :wink:

IMRAN-C