Thanks For the Add

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ZippityV

Thanks For the Add

Post by ZippityV »

Hello I would like to introduce myself, My name is Veronica and I have a Ringneck named Jade.I am new to this Forum and in need of some good tips and pointers.
I am originally from Michigan now located in North Carolina and I used to help a parrot rescue group by picking up poor birdies, fostering them, and sometimes delivering them to their new permanent homes. A few years ago I picked up Jade from a home and they had a huge list of his so called faults and why they no longer wanted him. Well I housed him for a short while and the moment he was in my home he flew to my daughter Katie, kissed her, talked and groomed her. Needless to say we fell in Love with him and he had no problems eating, playing, interacting with other birds or to a degree other people but mostly me, my daughter, husband, and other bird friends. which I think was great!
So we did not get to adopt him because he was promised to someone and I knew them somewhat. an older couple with no other pets or kids and they just wanted a parrot to love and they had a child with parrots that could help them out. So even though we were sad, we said our goodbyes, delivered him to his new home and even visited a few times before our move. So last year I heard that they no longer liked or wanted Jade and needed to get rid of him ASAP, so we drove to Michigan and got him. If I would not have seen or interacted with him before, I would have never believed this was the same birdie!! They taught him SO many bad habits including to be mean, If he acted up or nipped, he went to his cage, got totally cage aggressive and barely wants to come out instead of the first birdie in the morning to say step up and come out to eat a good breakfast and play. Would not step onto anything but a perch unless you want to be bitten. Only wants to eat junk including that cheap bird food with the sunflower seeds, only says Step up or cookie now. Freaks out at any kind of bathing except for his water dish. and I am not sure what they did about his flight feathers, but they say they had him trimmed and it never worked - previous owners said the same thing - and he uses flight to get out of anything and bumps into walls - windows - ect...
Needless to say we love Jade with all our hearts and My daughter Katie & I have worked to getting him to not be scared, come out of his cage, get a better diet. He loves Katie the most and will now come on her shoulder a little bit each day. It has been a slow process and I don't like how he looks - unhealthy! I am in a rural area and have yet to find an aviary vet anywhere close. Which completely sucks because I knew several back home on speed dial. So the feathers around his beak and under his wings are really bare and the pretty coloring in his beak is dull.
I am sorry this is a long story. Does anyone have any advice?
BTW....We have a new 7 month old CAG. Had her about a week. Yesterday morning they were both making all the sounds they know together and when I fed them both their birdie salads he wanted NO part of it for about an hour. then he saw her eating and he ate most of his. I was SO happy about that!!!!
Little Buttercup

Re: Thanks For the Add

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome to this forum. Hows it going with Jade, hope he has settled down now. You will have to re-train him.Try and get him to an avian vet for a check up.
Wishing you all the best with Jade.

Ash
MissK

Re: Thanks For the Add

Post by MissK »

Hi Veronica,

Really sorry to hear you were obliged to give Jade to that other family. Glad you got him back, after all, and I expect he is going to be fine in your household. You know how great he was, and I think he will be able to get back in touch with his former self in time.

Others may be along with better advice, but I think you primarily need to give him the good nutrition and full spectrum light he needs, along with the enrichment and social interaction and guidance that will help him back to his former state. I know you actually already know this, but I thought I'd point it out to remind YOU that you know what he needs and it's within your reach to provide it. I'm sure he's getting what he needs already.

You will, of course, need to find a real vet for him and get him well checked out. For a person who would drive from NC to Michigan to save their little friend, I know you can do this, too!

I found this website for you:
http://www.abvp.com/diplomate
In "Category" select "avian"
In "State" select "North Carolina"
Then hit "Search"
It's up to you to verify their credentials!
-MissK