Introducing Flash and Crash

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kimma

Introducing Flash and Crash

Post by Kimma »

This is Flash. She's 2 months old and a df violet blue.

And this is Crash. He's 13 months old and lutino.

They will both be joining me in the next couple of weeks. I've been waiting for Flash for a month, for her to be old enough to bring home.

Crash, I saw up for adoption at the Parrot Rescue Centre. My application to adopt him was approved today, yay!

I am so excited to be bringing them both home soon.

I had already decided on Flash's name (Squadron Commander the Lord Flashheart) before I saw Crash, but it works out so awesome that together they are Flash and Crash.
Last edited by Kimma on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ellieelectrons

Re: Introducing Flash and Crash

Post by ellieelectrons »

Congratulations. They are beautiful birds! I saw Crash come up on the Parrot Rescue Centre facebook page. I'm glad he's got a good home.

I'm heading down your way this weekend. Are there any bird supply stores you recommend?

Ellie.
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Alas, no. I've been buying everything online.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome to Flash and Crash! They are gorgeous :)
Loo :)
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Welcome to Flash and Crash. 8)
Just takin a break !

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

They look lovely!
Btw the parrot society is having their monthly meeting in Brisbane on Saturday. The speaker is one of the vets from bbv.http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

InTheAir wrote:They look lovely!
Btw the parrot society is having their monthly meeting in Brisbane on Saturday. The speaker is one of the vets from bbv.http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/
Oh, that would be awesome. I wish I could go, but I've already committed to going to see my parents who are 2 hours in the other direction.

I'll be sure to go to the next one. Do you go to them?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Not often, we will this time as I've been meaning to get to the store for ages. The store has good prices and it's worth becoming a member for the magazine, if you aren't already.
I really want to go to the parrots convention next year. The one day of step up I attended was great this year.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Beautiful birds they are!

Ash
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

I went to pick up Crash yesterday. It was really hot in the car, but Crash learnt how to drink out of a bottle with a sports cap instantly so he stayed hydrated and got home fine.

He doesn't want to step up on my hand, though I can lure him onto a stick, and he does like scritches on the neck.

So at least I can get him from his roost cage to the main cage to playgym without stressing him, and I can take my time getting him used to stepping up.

He started playing with the toys in his cage right away, and pulling leaves off the branches I put on his cage, so he is able to entertain himself.

He does chirp very loudly, but this morning I whistled back at him when he was calling for me and he did a cute little whistle too, so now I know he has a nice noise that I can teach him to use to call for attention.

His wings were trimmed just before I got him, but only on one side. So I'll ask the vet to fix that up for him when I take him in for his initial check up.

Oh, and I put the shower curtain net in the cage and watched him as he tried it out, and almost immediately he stuck his head through one of the rings, so I had to rescue him and take it out again.

I think he's a bit unco with getting around the cage. Maybe because the bars are further apart than on the small cage he's used to. He was doing this thing where he'd hold on with his beak and try to grab on with his feet, but he'd grab his other foot instead and flail a little with his feet stuck together before he realised what he was doing.

But he's already learnt which perch to sit on to get out of the cage ASAP when the door is opened. :)
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Crash climbed out onto the top of his cage this evening and had a nice chew on the paperbark branch I got him.

I gave him his dinner on top of the cage, and he had a bit, but when I sat down near him to have my dinner, he sidled over to the part of the cage closest to me. If he'd been ok with it, I'd have got him down to sit beside me. He didn't want to do that, but he did go back to get stuck into his own dinner. :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Oh Kimma what a lovey pair of birds :D I'am so happy for you, now that you have birds you HAVE to update us everyday and post tons of pics.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

I am sure I will. As you know, it's hard to stop talking about them. :)
twubby00

Post by twubby00 »

Very beautiful birds. Congrats!
Thank you,
Jen
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Crash had a bit of a.. well.. crash this morning.

I was trying to lure him out of his roost cage to take him out to the lounge room, but I bumped the cage and startled him, and he launched himself out of the cage and on to the floor. He was more than happy to step up onto a stick to get back up in the air, but he didn't seem to have any control while he was trying to fly.

I'm not familiar with how well IRN can fly when they are clipped, but I thought it would be more than that. He makes no attempt to flutter to other perches in his cage even though there is more than enough room. Maybe he never got a chance to fly before he was clipped.
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Crash seems to like my boyfriend. When he came in last night Crash started chattering away to him, and then put his head down for scritches. He let me scritch him too, but only if my bf scritched him first.

I served his dinner (a vegie mash) while he had ours and he seemed very keen on it. I don't know how much water he is drinking from his bowl. I offer him a bottle to drink from several times a day, and he always wants some.

This morning he got straight on his stick to come out of his cage. I tried to get him to go onto a t-perch from there, but he wasn't into it and backed onto my hand without even realising, which was funny. When he realised, he didn't try to bite me, but I could see he wanted to go back on the stick so let him do that.

He's getting better at targeting around his cage for sunflower seeds, though if he needs to get past a toy or something he often stops. He doesn't seem too keen to go down to his feed bowls, so I removed a toy from near that perch so he'd find it easier. I know he goes to his fruit bowl while I'm not there because some of it was chewed up when I got back, but I can't tell if he's eating his pellets. Hopefully I'll be able to get him on the scale soon so I can monitor his weight.
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

I went to pick up Flash today. I got the DNA test results too. Turns out Flash is a girl.

She came home with no problems, and is a very sweet bird. She's happy with being touched and stepping up.

Flash and Crash are in the same room, just on different playgyms. They don't seem too interested in each other. Though I just gave Flash a bit of a shower, which she seemed to like ok, and Crash saw and was begging for one too.

I took Crash into the shower with me this morning, and he just doesn't seem to get wet. The water just rolls right off him. Flash got nice and damp though, in her quick shower.

And now I'm really thinking that Crash never learnt to fly before he was clipped. Flash is clipped evenly on both wings, but she can fly quite a few metres before she runs out of lift. Crash goes straight down. At some point I think I will have to let his wings grow back so he can learn to flutter safely.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It's nice to hear they are settling in.
Why don't you keep them flighted when they moult? flighted birds are great!
Tinus

Post by Tinus »

Beautiful Birds! Congratulations! As for understanding that you cant stop talking about them, absolutely, it only shows your love and appreciation for your animals, i can tell you will make a great parent for them :)
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Mostly because it would be horribly hot if we kept the doors closed during summer. Plus it being a rental, I can't afford to have them gnawing on the cornices.

And I tried putting them in the same area, and Crash was not impressed at all. He chased Flash around until I could pick her up again. So I guess I will be going to buy a second cage. Now Flash is on a nearby but seperate play area and they are both preening happily. I didn't think a week was enough time for Crash to get territorial, but I guess he is. Or maybe he's just a grumpy sort. I'll have to try them again in a neutral area.

But I did get some pictures. Flash took it in good grace, but Crash wants to eat the camera. Flash just wants to eat my lip piercing, which I have to hide whenever I see her looking at it.

Other than that, it already feels weird interacting with a bird who likes me and doesn't want to bite me all the time.

And here is Lady Flashheart on the playgym.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Lovely pics!
I have never had a clipped bird, but I have heard some scarey stories of clipped birds getting outside and finding they could fly quite well enough to go for an adventure. And some absolute horror stories which made me cry! Please be aware clipping won't necessarily keep a bird safe.
liljo202

Post by liljo202 »

Congrats Very pretty birds The violet color is so pretty. liljo
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

We went to buy a second cage today since Crash doesn't want to share with Flash at all. I suspect it's more territorial than personal because Crash doesn't like me touching anything of 'his' either.

The new cage is smaller but it's higher off the ground so all the space is usable. The bars are closer together too, which is good because Flash stuck her head out of the bigger cage. It's got a flat top too, which is much better. I wish I had 2 of this sort now.

We had a bit of a breakthrough with Crash today too. He still doesn't like my hands anywhere near him, but he will step up for my boyfriend. Today he stepped up and then jumped up onto his shoulder. So he sat with my bf and Flash sat with me while we watched a movie. He'd been quite noisy while he was on his cage and we started to watch the movie, but when he was with us he happily chewed on a toy and got lots of scritches. He really is sooky for scritches and pats from my bf.

I discovered that Flash loves blueberries. She was wary of them at first but now she'll run over for one. I also discovered that blueberries cause blue poo, and blue poo stains.
Greenpitbul1113

Post by Greenpitbul1113 »

they look handsome with beautiful color shadings and both of them have expressive eyes
Coukou's mate
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Some new photos. Crash really loves showers. Flash, not so much.

I found out today that Flash loves cherries with the intensity of 1000 suns. Well, a lot anyway. She's not able to hold things in her feet yet, but she did try. At one point she got a hold of the stem, which didn't really help her. Most of the time though she closes her foot before it gets to whatever she's trying to hold.

She's started head bobbing frantically too. She's ok when we're not around but when she sees us, she starts doing it. She only stops when she's sufficiently distracted, like by a cherry. She really doesn't like to be in her cage when people are nearby either. She tries to dig her way out in the corner.

Crash on the other hand, had a great day. He stepped up on my hand in the morning twice before he decided to bite me. I could see the bite coming too, in hindsight.

I did some training with them both. With Flash I got her to do a spin. She was doing it very reliably, though slowly because she's still pretty unco.

When Crash was playing by himself, he did several flips around a perch, so I thought I'd try to get him to do that. He was doing mostly a bit more than a 180 under the perch, but a couple of times he lost his balance a bit and went all the way around, climbing the last bit. He didn't try to bite me while we were doing it either.

I'll have to get a tripod for my phone so I can film them next time.

Oh, and Casper (my dog) came face to face with Flash today. He tried to smell her and she nipped him gently on the nose. I think they could be friends.
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Together at last!

When I first put them on the neutral territory of the playgym, Crash had a bit of a go at Flash even though she was ignoring him. But she stood up for herself and he backed off. I gave them some treats while they were being nice to each other and eventually they sat together quite calmly.
liljo202

Post by liljo202 »

Kimma wrote:This is Flash. She's 2 months old and a df violet blue.

And this is Crash. He's 13 months old and lutino.

They will both be joining me in the next couple of weeks. I've been waiting for Flash for a month, for her to be old enough to bring home.

Crash, I saw up for adoption at the Parrot Rescue Centre. My application to adopt him was approved tod
I had already decided on Flash's name (Squadron Commander the Lord Flashheart) before I saw Crash, but it works out so awesome that together they are Flash and Crash.
Congrats They are so pretty and adorable liljo
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Flash and Crash went to the vet the other day. They had a couple of blood tests, but other than 1 result we're still waiting for, they both got clean bills of health. Crash had his second wing trimmed to match his first so he's no longer lopsided.

Up until today Flash has mostly been on a seperate playgym and my desk, but they spent most of today together on top of their cages and playgym setup. They took turns following each other around, occasionally making half-hearted "I don't like you" gestures, but mostly just chilling out together, so that's very promising.

They had their first go on a shower perch, which is made in a square so it's big enough for both of them. Flash has never seemed to like any other showers she's had, but this was the first time just being in the shower like this, and she very enthusiastically got herself soaked.

You can see how cute they are on youtube.

Oh, and the vet mentioned how they need to be eating more pellets and veges and less fruit. I knew that already but they just didn't seem to want to eat their pellets. But then we got home and it's like they were listening to her. They've been chowing down on pellets ever since.
Miss_Original

Post by Miss_Original »

Kimma

How did you go about adopting a parrot?
I have looked on the parrot society's facebook page but all of the birds are from late 2012 - early 2013 by the looks of things.
Id love to offer another parrot a home!
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer.......... it sings because it has a song.