Hi and thanks

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Achilles&Percy

Hi and thanks

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Hi everyone! I have had Achilles for about 3 months and just got Percy today.
Percy was having problems at my son in law's pet store. It seems when they
got in 3 yellow irn's, they were picking on Percy. Well Percy and Achilles were
together at the store originally, and I wanted them both, but was afraid to
get them both because I didn't know about these kind of birds (until I found
this website). When Percy started to stress, my wife and daughter bought him
for me for Christmas. What a wonderful gift!! Achilles is a grey male and is 8
months old. Percy is a teal male and is a little older. (Almost a year old) They
seemed to get along fine at first and I figured maybe they remembered each
other. Achilles is being a bit aggressive toward Percy now. I have them separated
and hope they will get along as the days pass. I want to say thank you to everyone
here because without this website and the information I received here, I don't
think I would have these birds. Achilles has been a great addition to the family,
and I think Percy will be too. On a again thank you all! Mike
Mike
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi and thanks

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi and welcome :)

How did you go about introducing the birds when you first brought Percy home?

Does Achilles get out of cage time?

Usually two male IRNs will get along but there are no guarantees. When I researched how to introduce my two to each other (I have a male and a female), it was recommended that you start by having them in separate areas of the house so that they cannot see each other. Then once they've heard each other and may call to each other, move them to different parts of the same room and over time, gradually move their cages closer together until they are practically butting up against each other. They can also have some out of cage play time together providing it is well supervised. Once you feel that their interactions are going well, then you can try co-habitating them in the same cage. It is recommended using a third cage that doesn't "belong" to either of them so that there are no territorial disputes. If you can't do that, you can instead completely change the layout and setup of the cage you intend to have them both live in and supervise then see how they go in there, supervising very closely.

This worked well for me, although I had a few moments of panic. They moved faster with the cohabitating than I'd planned. Our male started going into our females cage (it was much bigger than his), when he started doing that, we decided to try cohabitating the following weekend (when we could stay home to supervise).

I hope that helps.

Ellie.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Seems I didn't do it correctly. I just kinda let them start hanging out together and all seemed well but it isn't. Achilles is VERY aggressive toward Percy. I'm going out today to get another cage for Percy. I don't know why Achilles is acting this way because he is always such a sweetheart. Maybe with the other cage I will separate them and start over.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Oh and yes Achilles is out of the cage more than he is in. He is inside the cage at night and when we are not home.
Mike
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome. :D
Just takin a break !

MissK

Post by MissK »

Might Achilles think the entire house belongs to him?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

My birds are the opposite, the new, young female chases our older male around when they have time out. :roll:
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Achilles and Percy, good luck with your co-habitation troubles-hope it all settles down soon and peace and harmony can resume!
Loo :)
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I now have them in separate rooms and they seem to be doing better. They will be together for quite some time then all of the sudden Achilles gets a bug up his butt and goes after Percy. I don't know why, but they seem to be getting along better. I think maybe they just need to get used to each other. I can wait, cause I really love these guys!!
Mike
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Glad to hear it is going better. My two generally get along pretty well. They share a cage... but every now and again they get snarky with each other, I think its going to happen sometimes.

Ellie.
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

I agree. I'm just worried that one of them may get hurt.
Mike
Achilles&Percy

Post by Achilles&Percy »

Well it's been a few months, but these two are getting on famously! They are now In the same cage and we have no problems. I tried the re-doing the cage thing and it worked like a champ. Percy is now more of the dominant one, but I don't know why. I'm just glad that they get along, and now if they are separated all they do is call to one another. It's really cool. Every now and then they get a little bit snippy with each other but it don't last long.
Mike
MissK

Post by MissK »

This is really nice to hear! :D
-MissK