G'day from Perth, Western Australia.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

BiiBii

G'day from Perth, Western Australia.

Post by BiiBii »

Hello, I'm Beatrice & I've just rescued 2 blue Ringnecks. They've been in months of bad storms through winter & spring with very little cover, & a couple of days of 39c plus heat over the last few days. They have had no interaction as the owner has been away for a few months. After hearing from neighbours of their plight & state, I went & rescued them. Damn the consequences! !
I've been reading about these beautiful birds all day. I've put fresh water, fruit and vegies in their cage & also some small tree branches.
One is fine but only has one raggedy tail feather, the other is bald from the neck down. They've only just finally had a nibbe at the fruit but I haven't heard a peep from them.
Any advice on getting these beauties back to their healthy happy selves would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, B.
zentoucan

Re: G'day from Perth, Western Australia.

Post by zentoucan »

lots of TLC
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Welcome and good job Beatrice,dont rush them food and patience. Hopefully they should come around. :D
Just takin a break !

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Beatrice and well done for rescuing those poor little things. Have you given them a name yet? It might be an idea to register with an avarian vet near to you just in case you get concerns with their health after all theyve been through.

Go gently and quietly about your day, sit in the same room as the cage and read or watch TV etc, give them a few days of just hanging out and then as they settle down you can see how close they allow you to get without freaking out. When you are able to sit by the cage you can start giving treats, but during this time you can also leave them the treats and back away as its nice for them to see you are the giver of nice stuff. Its a long process but so worth it :)
Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hello beatrice and welcome to the forums. I love it when people rescue birds, we definitely need more people like you. Can't wait to see the pictures! :D
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf