Hi from the Gold Coast

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kimma

Hi from the Gold Coast

Post by Kimma »

I've chosen a baby ringneck (my first ever bird) and I'm preparing for hir while I wait for hir to grow up a bit.

I am excited and nervous (omg so nervous about doing it wrong). I've ordered a cage, some food and some toys. Hopefully they will all arrive before zie does. I'm going to go out and find some good branches for perches as well. I'll be visiting hir on the weekend and see how much she's grown since last weekend. :)

Zie will be blue, but I don't know if zie is a boy or a girl. I am going to wait til zie shows a ring or not to find out since I don't mind either way.

This was hir last Sunday.
Attachments
10241475324_5286941624_z.jpg
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi from the Gold Coast

Post by ellieelectrons »

Awwww! What a cute little guy/girl!

Ellie.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome Kimma and Zie :) You are from the Gold Coast, I am from the cold coast-England lol! It's blinking freezing here right now! Seems like only five minutes ago I was saying about a rare heat wave we got here a few months back.

You have an adorable little thing there :) Everyone here is lovely so don't worry about asking questions, I would say post them in the relevant sections though or the more knowledgable members may not spot them and may go unanswered.

Do keep posting with updates!
Loo :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi and Welcome to the forum,
IRNs are great birds.
I saw you posted on another thread, I don't want to take that thread off topic so I will reply here.
Kimma wrote:I'm curious about the really early milestones.

I'll be getting my bird when zie is almost 6 weeks old. Will zie be able to climb and perch by then? If not, when do they get strong enough/learn to do that? About when do they learn to fly?

Will I need to get a bed/box for hir?

I'm thinking now I better keep a baby book to record all this stuff :)
I would highly recommend that you get the breeder to raise and fully wean the bird before you take it home. There are many benefits to the bird by being raised around its own kind, as well as less stress for you. That is disregarding the fact that it is not legal to sell unweaned baby parrots in qld.

My personal experience with birds started with getting a 3 month old iRN for my boyfriend last year. Our bird (Nila) has accepted us very well and prefers us over anyone else. Hand raising them personally will not develop any more bond with your new bird than you will have after it has been weaned fully.
Brisbane has a great parrot society http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/ and their store is pretty well priced if you are a member.

All the best.

Claire
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Doodlebug wrote:Welcome Kimma and Zie :)
Thanks for the warm welcome. Zie is not hir name though. I'm just using neutral pronouns since I don't know zie is boy or a girl.
InTheAir wrote:
I would highly recommend that you get the breeder to raise and fully wean the bird before you take it home. There are many benefits to the bird by being raised around its own kind, as well as less stress for you. That is disregarding the fact that it is not legal to sell unweaned baby parrots in qld.

My personal experience with birds started with getting a 3 month old iRN for my boyfriend last year. Our bird (Nila) has accepted us very well and prefers us over anyone else. Hand raising them personally will not develop any more bond with your new bird than you will have after it has been weaned fully.
Ok, that is very good to know. It was making me a bit nervous the idea of weaning hir myself, so it's good to know I can wait and it won't make a difference.
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Kimma,

If you planning on calling your baby Zie till you know the sex, you going to be waiting a very very long time if you wait for a ring to appear, some males only get their ring as late as 3 years, and some as early as a year - 18 months.

He / she is lovely though, they ugly / cute when they that size, my current clutch are 3 weeks old.

Good luck!
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

SCB 22 wrote:Hi Kimma,

If you planning on calling your baby Zie till you know the [gender], you going to be waiting a very very long time if you wait for a ring to appear, some males only get their ring as late as 3 years, and some as early as a year - 18 months.
Oh yeah, I know it takes a long time to find out if they are a girl or a boy. I'll give hir a name before long. I'm leaning toward Madison (from the book Harry's Mad by **** King-Smith). But I don't want to call hir "it" as a pronoun so I'm using zie/hir.

What do other people use when for pronouns when they don't know which their bird is?
Kimma

Post by Kimma »

More baby pics. Zie is growing up so fast. This is just 7 days since the last, very baldy, photos.

Zie walked today for the first time too.
10377361045_dfd74fcf63.jpg
10377361045_dfd74fcf63.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome Kimma what a cute little she/him maybe we need to call them "shim" til we are sure ? Ha Ha :D
Just takin a break !

Kimma

Post by Kimma »

Today's progress photo - 32 days old.
IMG_8294.jpg
IMG_8294.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2098 times