Hi there!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

crazycracker

Hi there!

Post by crazycracker »

Hello! Five years ago I found a bright yellow indian ringneck, with clipped wing, in the woods about five miles away from any house. I named her crazy cracker. She is the first bird I have owned, I immediately did research about how to care for her. She is in good health, and spoiled rotten. My biggest problems with her at this point are behavioral. I know nothing of her past or her age, but she is terrified of brooms. She is very sweet towards me, but she attacks other people. When I let her wings grow out she literally flew at peoples eyes. She is very territorial. Also she wont talk. I joined this site to learn more about these birds :)
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi there!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi crazycracker

Welcome. Being scared of brooms is quite normal. You can however work towards desensitising her. Does she take treats from your hand? If so, you can start by feeding her treats whilst someone brings the broom into the room along way away from her. Leave the broom in the room so she can see it from her cage. Over time gradually move it closer. When she is comfortable with it being close to her cage, then you can try similar things with someone using the broom whilst feeding her treats. Watch for her reaction, the minute there is any fear presented, back off and go back to the previous steps. Eventually you should be able to desensitise her to it.

The territorial behaviour - there _may_ be ways to improve this too. Firstly, does this happen all year round or certain times of year? I've just come off 3 months of territorial behaviour with my girl which was to do with nesting season - trying to find a nest and protecting areas she thought might make good nests and frustration at not being able to build a nest.

She may have bonded with you, so therefore if other people are near you, she may be trying to protect you. Does she attack other people when you are not in the room?

Ellie.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome crazy cracker :)

Ellie has given perfect advice :) IRNs seem to be scared of all new objects, I know mine is. I just leave new toys or whatever near the cage so he can eyeball it in his own time and get used to it, then maybe bring it closer and start holding it in front of them etc so they become less threatened by it.
Loo :)
crazycracker

Post by crazycracker »

She loves treats, so ill try your advice about the broom. I have been able to desensitize her to everything except long skinny objects, especially swiffers and brooms. I have tried fixing the territorial behavior by lowering her cage for a few weeks, which did nothing. I take her all around the house with me. Before she was very territorial of her cage, which was in the living room. I moved her cage to the bedroom and put a big perch where her old cage was. I was hoping that if she spent her days on the perch and her nights in the cage she would be less territorial. It worked for about two weeks, now she is territorial over her perch and her cage. She attacks regardless of whether or not i'm there :( Thanks for the advice!