Hi I can't decided what type of ring neck, confused

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

zentoucan

Hi I can't decided what type of ring neck, confused

Post by zentoucan »

Hello
I'm never had a parakeet before but have seen a few alexandrine and Indian ring necks at pet shops very beautiful birds. I can't decided whether to get a Indian ringneck or Alexandrine. I have researched both species apparently the Alexandrine is more aggressive than the Indian ring neck but the Indian ring neck is more noisy. Both species go though a "bluffing stage" and this can be difficult to manage. also they are suppose to be a one person bird, difficult to train. but then again other websites contradict this information.
Skyes_crew

Re: Hi I can't decided what type of ring neck, confused

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi and welcome :)

My firsthand experience with both species is this;

IRN's are louder and demand more attention, but are a lot more social if socialized proper from a hatchling. They love to play and interact, when they feel like it of course lol. Training is one of their favorite pastimes. They easily become a family oriented bird.

Alexandrines are quieter, but by no means quiet. They easily can become one person birds if not socialized properly. But even if socialized will usually prefer one or two people. They are not family oriented birds.

Both birds can go through a bluffing period. The length of time is dictated by how it is handled. IRN's if kept flighted seem to have an easier time overcoming bluffing, whereas alexandrines can and will bite regardless if clipped or flighted. But, as I stated, the length of time this lasts is dependent on how it is approached. Once that period passes though, they are extremely gentle.

Both birds have a penchant for chewing. But IRNs if given the proper toys, they will last quite awhile. Alexandrines can chew through just about anything. A friend of mine recently nicknamed them chainsaws lol. And they will chew door frames, baseboards, walls even. So they need to have their beaks kept busy constantly. I recently gave my Alex a block of wood to chew on, as he has destroyed every other toy I've made him. He is half way through the block of wood and its been only a couple of days.

I have a soft spot for both species. I own both species :) and I am very happy to answer any other questions you may have because I love when people do their homework before taking on a new responsibility. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sky,
recently gave my Alex a block of wood to chew on, as he has destroyed every other toy I've made him. He is half way through the block of wood and its been only a couple of days.

and we blame humans for deforestation :lol:

Sahara must have been another Amazon some 2000BC ...till a flock of Alexz found the joint. :lol:
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I don't doubt it Ben :lol: you should see that beak work...I'm just glad it's the wood and not my hand :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

skyes crew
how many birds do you have