Just brought home my 4-5 week old gray/yellow IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

melugur

Just brought home my 4-5 week old gray/yellow IRN

Post by melugur »

Hi everyone this is my first IRN and I have a couple of questions.....
I have a 40 wat lamp over him in his box.. Is that enough to keep him warm?
He seams to be a little afraid of my husband and myself....Is that normal for the first couple of days?
Should I be giving him water or is his wet food enough?..I brought a little water bowl dont know if I should put it in his box or not....?
AND when he seams calm he rolls his tongue around up and down?? like a thirsty dog..haha what does that mean?

Your replies and opinions are much appreciated so please give me your advise :)

Thanks
SCB 22

Re: Just brought home my 4-5 week old gray/yellow IRN

Post by SCB 22 »

God luck with your baby you will find tons of great advice here!

Being a bit scared will be normal for the first few days, just until your new little one learns to associate food with you as his new owner, and then he / she will be your new best buddy :-P

What food are you feeding him, and how often? There formula when they are small is sufficient for them without water, just yet.

Does he sort of roll, grind his beak when he rolls his tongue? or does his whole body seem to pant when he rolls his tongue?
(just need to make sure he isnt getting too hot under the light, as if he is unable to move out of the light it might be too much for him)

Hope this helps!
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome melugur, and to your new baby :) Do you have a name yet?

You've come to the right place for advice and suggestions from people in the know-did the breeder give you any care instructions at all? They look so tiny and delicate but soon grow in a matter of weeks to look fully grown!

Enjoy the site and keep posting, Loo :)
Loo :)
melugur

Post by melugur »

Doodlebug wrote:Welcome melugur, and to your new baby :) Do you have a name yet?

You've come to the right place for advice and suggestions from people in the know-did the breeder give you any care instructions at all? They look so tiny and delicate but soon grow in a matter of weeks to look fully grown!

Enjoy the site and keep posting, Loo :)

Named him cookie :)
Well it's his first night at home and his terrified of me! I woke up at 4 am to feed him and that was fine..after feeding him I put him on my chest next to my heart beat and he calmed down stopped crying..then he moved up to my neck he didn't cry once but when I moved him he started crying again so I put him back into his box and he was in the corner looking lonely again..
So I took him back out and once again he ran under my neck and now his sitting there while I write this and he seems to be happy....

The breeder gave me care instructions more about the food and how to feed him..
I'm not sure what to expect from this little guy..I just wish he wasn't so frightened of me and if it's normal for him to be scared?
melugur

Post by melugur »

SCB 22 wrote:God luck with your baby you will find tons of great advice here!

Being a bit scared will be normal for the first few days, just until your new little one learns to associate food with you as his new owner, and then he / she will be your new best buddy :-P

What food are you feeding him, and how often? There formula when they are small is sufficient for them without water, just yet.

Does he sort of roll, grind his beak when he rolls his tongue? or does his whole body seem to pant when he rolls his tongue?
(just need to make sure he isnt getting too hot under the light, as if he is unable to move out of the light it might be too much for him)

Hope this helps!
Thank you heaps for your help..
I'm feeding him avione formula the breeder recommended it..I'm feeding him 4 times a day at this point prob 8 ml..I feed him until his crop is full..

His stopped doing the thing with his tongue it was like he was opening and closing his mouth..

He won't stop screaming everytime I try to touch or feed him..I hope this stops soon...do you know how long it will take before he stops being scared of me?
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hello and welcome Melugur and Cookie. :D
Just takin a break !

SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Is it like a aaaaawwwk awwwwk awwwwk noise? if so, thats a normal baby thing, all of mine do it the second i touch them, and they do grow out of it :-)