Hi Firs Time Bird Lover and Breeder from South Africa

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Liefie

Hi Firs Time Bird Lover and Breeder from South Africa

Post by Liefie »

Hi I have a pair of ringnecks that i want to breed for the first time. my male (Blue) is older than 7 years and my female (green) just over a year
Liefie

Re: Hi Firs Time Bird Lover and Breeder from South Africa

Post by Liefie »

When she starts to lay eggs, is she most of the time in the nest or can she be out side and only go inside to lay the egg???
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi Liefie, welcome.

I'm just wondering why do you want to breed your birds when you do not know anything about breeding?

Ash
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi and welcome. Your female is too young yet to start breeding. Hens normally begin breeding in their second season. There has been a huge increase of inexperienced breeders wanting to breed lately and I think before you wind up in situations like theirs with babies on their hands and no clue what to do, maybe a little research is in order. I'm not discouraging you from breeding. I'm only asking that you learn all you can about the birds and breeding before you take on such a huge responsibility. :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Little Buttercup wrote:Hi Liefie, welcome.

I'm just wondering why do you want to breed your birds when you do not know anything about breeding?

Ash
Ash, i didn't want to breed, its just happened on its own.
my male was my parents for some years now and they got the female a while back and recently decided to give the birds to my daughter
they were in separate cages, but i don't have the space for 2 big parrot cages, so i put them together (i only found out recently that the female could have killed my male). Luckily she didn't, but i saw them a couple of times mating, so i build them a nesting box, put it on the cage and only few days, started researching them.
Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Skyes_crew wrote:Hi and welcome. Your female is too young yet to start breeding. Hens normally begin breeding in their second season. There has been a huge increase of inexperienced breeders wanting to breed lately and I think before you wind up in situations like theirs with babies on their hands and no clue what to do, maybe a little research is in order. I'm not discouraging you from breeding. I'm only asking that you learn all you can about the birds and breeding before you take on such a huge responsibility. :D
Skyes thank you, i did see that i needed to do more research, so i'm studying them in all my free time!
So much i didn't know, i can tell you!!!!
most of the birds history, do's and don't ext. i found, but they say very little about the breeding proses.
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Liefie :P
Just takin a break !

Liefie

Post by Liefie »

Thank You Dixie