Hello from sunny London UK...

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Dan84

Hello from sunny London UK...

Post by Dan84 »

Hello everyone,

Looks like a great site you all have here, with a wealth of information. I just bought a young 6 week old ringneck from a lady who really didn't have any time for him and as a result I think he may be a bit neglected :( He is such a sweet little thing though. My family have kept birds since I can remember but this is my first IRN. I shall get some pics up when I can for you all to see his progress. I look forward to getting involved in IRN community :D
MissK

Re: Hello from sunny London UK...

Post by MissK »

Welcome.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, welcome to this great site!

Ash
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Thank guys, looking forward to seeing everyones birds and learning from all the great info on this site.
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

hi and welcome im from uk to, what area did you get your bird from
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Hi Rayhan,

I'm from Surrey and we got the bird from the Stevenage area. Where about in the UK are you?
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

well in london and shaftesbury. but mainly shaftesbury, im farily knew to this aswell as i have only had my birds for 7 months
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

I've had mine for for 24hours now. He is adorable but I'm a little worried about his feather condition, I also have a feeling that he is slightly older than the lady said he was. She said he was 5-6 weeks, but he almost has all his feathers and is trying millet, bread and some small pieces of mango. Is that normal in an IRN? I've had other young birds before but not an IRN.
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

sorry i wont be able to answear that as i am as knew to this, but if its older than 5 weeks i think its starting to eat solids so sounds right but i would check on that if i were yoju
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Yes I will do thanks. Looking forward to getting involved on here.
rayhan

Post by rayhan »

i joined here yestaday and im already getting help from three people, its so friendly here
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Glad to hear it :) I was trying to upload some pics for everyone too mine as he grows and progresses but the forum won't let me post pics for some reason, I think because I'm new. We haven't even named him or her yet!
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome from Sunny Arizona Dan,guess if your unsure of age it would pay to offer fruits/veggies and seed and just keep track of what is eaten ? You can always suppliment with formula as needed.
Just takin a break !

Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Hi Dixie, thanks. I have today offered him some broccoli, grape, melon, kiwi fruit bread and millet spray. He nibbled on all of it and particularly nibbled the bread for ages. It was so cute watching him try and clasp it with his foot and half the time miss and drop it . Looked almost like he was waving :D Most of it went everywhere and he certainly didn't take enough so I have still given him 4 feeds of formula. He's perching and is really flapping his wings and starting to get lift but not actually flying yet.

Daniel.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Dan, and welcome. I'm from the UK too, in Suffolk. I was quite lucky that my partner knew a breeder in my local area and I can't tell you how excited I was to finally be getting another IRN after having lost my childhood one a few years ago now.

He's been with us a few months now and I love him to pieces even though he is biting me to pieces at the moment!

Loo :)
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Good stuff, sounds very exciting. I've only had mine 2 weeks now but he seems to of settled in so well it's untrue, he's starting to really explore his surroundings a bit more now and he is hilarious. I can't wait to see how he changes as he gets older.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

They are funny aren't they? :)

So have you named him yet?

By the way you can find out how to post photos in the Miscellaneous section at the top.

Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Ok thanks, I'll take a read of how to upload images. I think it wouldn't let me before because I was a new member and it was classed as "too spammy"!

We now have a name... Milo :)

He's a little sweetheart, the funniest little thing. Although he clamps his beak down a bit too hard sometimes. We're working on that though.

I'll try and get some pics up as he is changing so quickly, when we got him he had a bald chest and underwings... Not anymore. The scruffy little thing we bought home is not so scruffy now and a beautiful mutation colour I've not really seen before.
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

...Where as mine was looking nice with all his new feathers and now he's moulting already and is a right little urchin!

Looking forward to seeing your pics, Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Welcome Dan,
I agree that this forum is awesome. I just joined a week ago after purchasing your new ringneck Aero. Milo is such a sweet name. Please post pictures!!!! We need to see Milo.
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Likewise, we need to see Aero. I managed to get a couple of snaps on my phone during playtime, they aren't the best but you can see he is a beautiful colour. We think he is about 9 weeks now.

He loves to roll over in his bath, it's so funny...
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Wow how gorgeous!

What a lovely bird, and he looks so happy :)

MissK

Post by MissK »

Bath pictures just never get old..........
-MissK
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

OMG WHAT A CUTIE!!! Love this pics. What a nice coloring! Don't worry pics of Aero coming soon! TONS of 'EM. But he looks so scruffy and like a streat urchin if you ask me. Knowing Aero, if I take a picture of him, he will take a picture of me in a bad hair day and post it all over the forum :D .

AlphaWolf
Dan84

Post by Dan84 »

Thanks guys, he is a sweetie. Though this morning when I was cleaning out his cage I found a few feathers in the bottom of his cage and when he flew a couple fell out.... They all appear to be from the top of his body and wings, I haven't seen any signs of him plucking and would this be normal for such a young bird? He seems perfectly happy and has a very healthy diet of veg/fruit/seed/nuts/hagen tropimix and kaytee exact forumla, although I do question how he was looked after in those first few weeks we didn't have him. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi dan, it may be a moult but it's hard to say as you are unsure of your birds age, do you see any pin feathers? They are feathers that have emerged with their casing on still, they look like little tiny sticks.

AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Hi Dan,
I agree with loo, I believe your bird is moulting. Aero here is moulting but other than a very scruffy feathers and down feathers all over the floor that's all I have. I also believe that Doodlebug is also moulting. Don't panic, (I admit it, I panicked myself and though he was plucking too) but it will pass and Milo will look in top form :)

P.S. I broke my iPad today so the photos will be delayed :(

AlphaWolf