Re: First time breeder

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Ninadebeer1

Post by Ninadebeer1 »

:lol: Hi everybody. I've got a ringneck that layed eggs. Not sure how many, but we saw three eggs. Need advice, as I am a first time breeder. I am exited, and also scared and unsure how to handle the situation. Will cold weather cause the egss not to hatch? I worked out the chicks should hatch by month end. Is it O.K. to touch the eggs? How can I establish if the eggs are fertile? If I leave the chicks in the nest for two weeks, and take them out, where is the best place to keep them? How do I keep them warm? If I feed them with a syringe, how often should I do it, and what should I feed them? Sorry for all the questions, can I get some answers pls, thank you, NINA :roll:
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome Nina, It seems like you have no idea about raising birds, in that case I think you should'nt take the chicks out. Learn more and let someone near you show you how to feed them.

Ash
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Nina,

Welcome to our family! We are so glad to have you here. I think buttercup hit it right on the nail. Since this is your first time around it would be wise to find a local breeder that will help you hand feed the babies. This would be a great opportunity to get one on one experience from an expert. I did this when I was learning to crop feed and hand feed. I could not believe how dangerous it was--just one wrong move and the baby ringneck could die. These babies are so tiny and fragile it's amazing what could go wrong. Besides, you'll feel so comfortable the second time around, as they say practice makes perfect. :wink: :D

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you! :) Don't forget you can browse the forum for all kinds of questions.

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Ninadebeer1

Post by Ninadebeer1 »

Gosh Guys, It was so nice to go to my post, and saw that you replied to my questions. As Ash said, I don't have an idea what to do with handling this situation! The babies were born in the week, there is three of them. I started putting pronutro in the cage, but bought the proper feed for the chicks between 1day and 14 days,it looks similar to pronutro, but have all the nutrients that the chicks need. I noted that the male eats from it, and then goes into the nest to feed the hen, and she will most probably feed the chicks. I also grate some fruit, gave him some vegies ect. Not sure if I must just keep to the porridge for now, and leave the rest for now, as I'm scared it might upset the chicks stomac. There is a lady at work that grew up with them, and her mom offered help me to handfed the chicks, but how will I learn if I don't watch them doing it. When is the best time to take them out of the nest? Do you think I should leave them there until they are four weeks old? I will get somebody to guide me. Thanx, I will also check the other topics. Regards, Nina :D
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi and welcome Nina good luck with your first brood. :D
Just takin a break !

zentoucan

Post by zentoucan »

Nina
if you have access to a resource that can help and show you what to do take it with both hands
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome nina, good luck with it all :)

Loo :)
Loo :)
AlphaWolf

Post by AlphaWolf »

Welcome Nina
"Live with parrots and you learn to panic"

AlphaWolf
Ninadebeer1

Post by Ninadebeer1 »

Hi Guys, me again. My baby IRN are 6 weeks old. I removed them from the nest, and poor "ugly Betty" was screaming at me for taking her babies away. I sold one, and gave another to my son's wife that spends hours with her bird. They are all healthy, and the feathers grow beautifull. I kept one and name her/him "hunny bunny". Lol.... I've got hunny bunny on three feeds a day, every six hours, and on phase three with his porridge. It's gone quite good up to this stage, and she is already very tamed, love to sit in my handpalm, and I scratch her little head, and touch the feathers. I talk to her constantly, and she loves me for that. I have a few questions going forward. She is not in a cage yet, but I keep her in a plastic container with a lid with a hole in it, and she can see through it. I have a soft toy, and mirrors in there, I think she gets bored sometimes, when I'm too busy to keep her and give her attention. When can I move her to a cage? At this stage I think she needs to be kept warm. Do I need to give her water to drink? I spoonfeed her. When does she start eating normal bird food? I read that I must start mixing vegies with her formula, and fruit like bananas. When must she go to two feedings a day? And lastly, I would love to post some pictures, but are unable to do so? Why, or am I stupid or what? :o