Hi ALL the way from SA :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Robinson22

Hi ALL the way from SA :)

Post by Robinson22 »

Hi Everyone!

I came across this awesome forum when I searched for the right name of my Ringneck :)

I bought my baby 3 years ago, didn't have much feathers on at all. But I loved every second with him!!

I also just want ask, since my mom passed away I didn't take my boy out of his cage, was a very rough 2 years. I have him with me in a new house and a new beginning :) Will it be possible to take him out again with time? He is scared when I put my hand in, but when my hand is outside he just loves the attention. I would really like to get him out again like I used to. Any advice??

Kind regards
Surette
Doodlebug

Re: Hi ALL the way from SA :)

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Surette and welcome to you and your birdie :)

Sorry to hear of your mums passing, I can identify as I lost my mum too a number of years ago. But I'm sure your IRN missed your company as much as you missed his, and if you go slowly at his pace I just know he'll come back around. Does he still take treats from you?

Loo :)
Robinson22

Post by Robinson22 »

I'm also sorry to hear about your mom *hug*

Yes he does indeed!! You can see he is sometimes shy, but otherwise when I talk to him and he like notices its me, he go crazy! Starts talking and walking up and down, and when I touch his one plaything in the cage he will come and talk right by my hand and then I can rub him? He just shy away totally when I stick my hand into his cage.

Surette
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Well then you're more than halfway there in my opinion! That's great news, he positively adores the sight and sound of you and also takes treats-which is the best thing for bonding and taming-he associates you with bringing him good stuff :)

Is he ok with opening his cage and giving him treats like that?

He wants this just as much you do, you don't need to worry at all.

Robinson22

Post by Robinson22 »

I'll try that tonight and let you know tomorrow what happened :D You got me excited again! Thank you so much for your messages!

Surette
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Please do keep posting how you're doing-I'm far from an expert, I've only got my experience to go by and there's so many other son here that have great advice and opinions!

On my taming journey I couldn't just go from giving treats through the bars to opening the cage to do it as I had to start from scratch as I got him from an aviary baby. But as you've brought him up yourself and have a lovely relationship already going by how he behaves in your company, then I am 'assuming' you could probably go straight to that step, I did forget to ask you how he is when you clean his cage etc but I'm guessing after all these years he's ok with that..?

If he isn't comfortable with you inside the cage giving him treats then you may have to go back a step or try a different way-do post how you got on-I'm so glad you've got your excitement back-the guys on here gave me my hope and spurred me on so I'm so pleased to be able to use what experiences i have had to do a little of that too :)

Best of luck, Loo :)
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi, welcome to the forum, Me too from SA! Does sound like your bird still loves you and misses you. So what did you name him?

Ash
Robinson22

Post by Robinson22 »

Hi Loo :)

He took the treat right from my hand last night, didn't even move away :) so I guess he is easy going with that. I rubbed his wing too and he kept on talking to my finger hehe he is so funny sometimes!

When I clean his cage he will just be himself, I never noticed that he was nervous or anything. He is just very curious and looks at everything I do. Is this good that the cleaning doesn't bother him?

Hi Ash :)

I got him with almost zero feathers on about 2/3 years ago, and when he started walking at that stage he had this funny wiggle way of walking so I named him Wiggles :)

Surette
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hey again-wow it's all going great isn't it! You must be so pleased :)

I only asked about the cleaning etc to see whether he is bothered about your hands being in there intruding on his personal space but its even better than I thought, you can touch him too AND he readily chatters away to your fingers :)

I see no reason why he wouldn't come out of his cage, he isn't frightened of you when you're inside his domain so you have nothing to worry about. Does/did he step up? I would try this to bring him out, if he's reluctant maybe hold a treat a little further away behind your finger so he has to climb on to get it. I'm using a step up perch at the moment with mine, as he still isn't so sure about my hands...

Does he have a stand or fun place he can go when out of the cage?

Keep posting! :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Surette,

From what I'm hearing, I don't think you really have anything to worry about. As long as you don't rush the bird by forcing him to accept something before he's ready, I think a few months from now you're not going to have any idea what you thought the problem was!

Let's recap what I heard: You have a 3 year old bird who is afraid of your hand, except that he came up to your hand in the cage and let you touch him and he will take food from you. You raised him. He hasn't been out of the cage in 2 years, but you would like to let him out.

My advice: Bird proof the room and let him out. Just open the cage door and use a lure. Keep feeding him by hand. If he lets you touch him in the one spot, continue to do so, and treat. Keep spending gentle time with him. Make excuses to go by the cage, open it, and put something nice inside. NO CLIPPING. Welcome back to Wiggles!

I have a second hand bird who was neglected in the cage far longer than yours was, and he's doing great. You'll be fine.

-MissK
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hi Surette, just wondering how its going now :)
Robinson22

Post by Robinson22 »

Hi hi :)

Sorry for not posting in a while. Has been so busy at work and at home. Unfortunately I thing we took a few steps back :( When I gave him a treat inside his cage it looked like I was going to kill him by the way he went on. :( But when I'm in my room he will try and open the cage. So maybe a few steps back but I will keep on trying with him. I will not lose hope :D

Kind regards
Surette
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Surette,

If you are going to do something and the bird starts freaking out, stop right there and retreat to the point prior to the bird's bad reaction. Once the bird starts displaying fear you have already gone too far and started positively damaging your progress. If you stop prior the fear reaction, then the bird will have a chance to associate the treat with your action, instead of the fear.

-Best wishes
-MissK
Robinson22

Post by Robinson22 »

Hi Miss K,

That's what I did, so ill try and move slowly again from step 1 :)