Newbie in the IRN world!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

karrotbear

Newbie in the IRN world!

Post by karrotbear »

Hello everyone from sunny Australia!

I have always loved birds and the affection given by them (when they lick me), the antics and hissy fits!

Now we have a (i think) pearled male cockatiel named Kaffrey (after Niel Kaffrey in Whitecollar), and soon after that I bought a hand raised female (hopefully) ringneck from a breeder. She's olive in colour with some very bright green streaks and we named her Indie (after indianna jones!). So we caged them separately and then ended up putting them in the same cage after awhile and they seemed to have bonded very very well (even though a few months ago we went on a short holiday and Indie ended up nearly breaking Kaffreys wing!) he's still so friendly with her its unbelievable!

So about the same time Indie bit Kaffrey, our neighbours found a tired out yellow (lutino?) IRN in their yard and we got her (we assumed it is a she based on the fact that her tail feathers were super long and she just seemed allot more mature/talkative than Indie).

At first she absolutely hated us, like absolute hatred and I ended up with ALLOT of bloody bites and cuts from her. But suddenly one day she stopped biting me and would let me pat her (when she wants a pat she archs her neck backwards, looks into the sky and starts swaying side to side, whilst also slightly lifting her wings, she also makes some weird clucking noise whilst being patted). But now she absolutely hates my partner, Kate. Kate would walk past the cage and Lulu (yellow bird) would lunge at her through the bars, if Lulu is out of the cage she would lunge from the top of the cage to try and bite Kate. Lulu would also present herself to Kate like she does when she wants a pat, but it's just a trick and she bites Kate, and she seems to chuckle when she succeeds! It's come to a point where kate is quite afraid of Lulu (seriously nasty bites) dubbing her the Devil Bird. Lulu does not really like Indie, and tolerates Kaffrey most of the time.

I was going to post this in another section, but since the majority of my story is up here, I figure I could just ask in this post. Is there any way for me to get Lulu to like and stop biting Kate? Is there any way to sort of induce better bonding between the two IRN's and the cockatiel?

Anyways, thanks for reading!
Melika

Re: Newbie in the IRN world!

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the board!

As for forcing a bong between the IRN and the 'tiels, not possible. Birds have very distinct personalities. My IRN is simply a bully and cannot be allowed to be out with my 'tiel or he will hurt her.

Normally you would want the more 'hated' person to do all the fun cool tasks for a bird, like food etc. Then all the good things come from your partner, and hopefully Lulu will come around.

One more thing (not sure if you have found this info yet), if your 'tiel keeps the pearl markings then it is a female and if they fade away in adult feathering, it's a male. Easy sexing and doesn't take three years to find out like it does in an IRN!
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi, Welcome, and good luck with your birds. I have a particular interest in second hand birds, so I'd love to hear more about Lulu as time goes on.

-MissK
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome, Hi, Me too would like to know more about how you going with your bird.

Ash
karrotbear

Post by karrotbear »

Hey all, sooo Indie had a s-exchange recently!

Started acting super animated and arching her neck backwards with wings out (kinda like she/he's surprised!). Googled similar behaviour and apparently this type of behaviour is indicative of a male. Sigh. I'm telling you trying to correctly name him/her when you talk about him/her gets pretty hard! Keeps doing the behaviour towards our cockatiel, quite adorable actually!

In terms of Lulu, she still likes biting Kate, I have gotten Kate to be the person giving the treats - hasnt helped much so far.
Dixie-1

Post by Dixie-1 »

Hi karrotbear and welcome I am a "newby" also :D
Just takin a break !

Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Welcome karrotbear, I know you will find all the answers you need here, the forum is filled with so many knowledgable people, never feel silly asking a question if you can't find the answer having searched already, they're all so friendly and willing to help.

Loo :)
Loo :)