Hi there everyone!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Alyza

Hi there everyone!

Post by Alyza »

I'm excited to be with you ...

I'm hoping to learn a lot about IRNs before getting one.

I've got a lot of concerns - main one at present is how to convince my husband that we need a ringneck :D ...

Also, how to explain to my dog that it's impolite to bark at a little bird...

My 12 year old son & myself are ready...

Alyza
ellieelectrons

Re: Hi there everyone!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Good luck with that - When we were newly weds my husband knew a pet would make me happy - I hadn't had a pet since I lived at home.... so we went looking for a cat and came up with Janey our IRN instead. I then managed to convince him that we needed to get her a friend but I think it unlikely I could convince him we need more. I keep telling him my next bird will be an Eclectus!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Ellie,

Thats a really good idea. I think i might try it with my wife.

Subodh
Alyza

Post by Alyza »

Ellie, you've got a good husband - agreeing to 2 birds...

Alyza
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

ellieelectrons wrote:Good luck with that - ... so we went looking for a cat and came up with Janey our IRN instead. I then managed to convince him that we needed to get her a friend but I think it unlikely I could convince him we need more. I keep telling him my next bird will be an Eclectus!

Ellie.
Hahahaha, but seriously your birds are so much cooler than a cat!

My boyfriend has wanted a cat or a parrot for years, I'm not very keen on cats for ecological reasons so i got him an irn for his birthday.... Does hubby have a birthday coming up, Alyza? It worked for us, he gets a well trained bird, I get to hang out with it and train it... ;) Hopefully he reciprocates and gets me a pony for my birthday...

Claire
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Alyza wrote:Ellie, you've got a good husband - agreeing to 2 birds...
Thanks Alyza - yes I do. :)
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

InTheAir wrote:Hahahaha, but seriously your birds are so much cooler than a cat!
They are pretty cool, but it would still be nice to have a cat, something that sits in your lap and loves to be pat. Never exchanging the birds though! One of the main reasons we didn't get a cat were the ecological ones - we live backing onto forest so I just didn't feel responsible getting one. We'd have to move house before I'd consider getting a cat again.

Ellie.
Alyza

Post by Alyza »

InTheAir wrote:
My boyfriend has wanted a cat or a parrot for years, I'm not very keen on cats for ecological reasons so i got him an irn for his birthday.... Does hubby have a birthday coming up, Alyza? It worked for us, he gets a well trained bird, I get to hang out with it and train it... ;) Hopefully he reciprocates and gets me a pony for my birthday...

Claire
Yes Claire, my hubby does have his birthday coming up in July, and I often get him things that I actually want for myself - last year he got a fancy juicer... 4 years ago he got a puppy... maybe this year he'll get an IRN - brilliant idea!!!

Alyza
Melika

Post by Melika »

Welcome to the forum. :) Kudos to you for doing your research FIRST!

I, myself, have been forbidden by my husband to bring home any other animal besides fish until something dies. Granted he did marry and immediately have a dog, two birds, and a fish tank that accompanied me. He had fair warning though- told him when we started dating that I wouldn't give my animals up. ;) Hane and hubby have a love, hate relationship. They both love me and they hate each other. Not really.

I would just show cool vids of IRNs randomly over time. My hubby likes it when Hane does funny things and talks. Hubby isn't happy about IRN lifespans though... ^^;
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hi all. I'm new here too. Just wanted to add my experience with bringing home my birds. I hadn't had any birds since I was a teenager. Between college, starting a career, and starting a family and my husband being in the military there was no question in my mind that I couldn't devote the amount of time needed for a bird. So I waited. My kids got older and didn't need me as much and we settled down in Hawaii. I totally bamboozled my husband lol. I first asked to get a cockatiel. We went to a local bird store and I fell in love with one. My husband wasn't as excited as me :) until my tiiel "Nani" gave him his first birdie kiss. And he seemed to prefer my husband a lot. Then I would catch my husband holding him and talking to him when he thought no one was looking. So I pouted and told him I needed another bird that would bond with me. He told me to go pick one out. I came home with a sunday conure :D over the next year following I brought home a rescued GCC and two weeks ago, my blue IRN. He never knew what hit him lol.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks for sharing. I can see why you have an opinionated cockatiel. I'm sure he feels that these new birds are (to some degree) intruders and that you and your husband and your house belong to him.

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

WELCOME Skyes

Subodh
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Actually my cockatiel gets along great with my Sunday conure. To me he is opinionated because when we sit down to dinner or the family is all talking he likes to fly from place to place and add his two cents lol. He never stops chattering or singing or whistling. When he's chattering, it sounds like he's arguing with us :) I love it!!

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Thanks for the welcome Subodh :)