New to the Ringneck world!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Samantha_Hughes

New to the Ringneck world!!

Post by Samantha_Hughes »

Hi all!! I'm new to the ringneck world and it comes on funny terms. Over a week ago we noticed a beautiful male blue ringneck on our fence line. He has clearly come from a home as he talked and loved humans near by. As the week went on we noticed he wasn't leaving our yard and often did laps around our home but always returned. So yesterday I decided to offer him some food and water and he came flying right at me and wouldn't leave. So he's now in our home happy and content .. We have posted on our local lost pets page and bird pages on Facebook .. Also posters around our neighborhood and local shopping center, a week has been by and no contact from anyone! We have also called local vet clinics and the RSPCA but no word!! I would love some advice ... The best cage for him
.. As I have read they rearly like being in a cage and would much more prefer a stand . I would love to hear options for our next move with him, as I feel we have put him out in the public that we have found him but no response, we just want him to be happy! Thankyou in advance! Sammy - Australia
Samantha
Little Buttercup

Re: New to the Ringneck world!!

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome Samantha, you so lucky! But someone must be heartbroken at his loss. Maybe you will find the owner one day. Meanwhile he does need a cage as well as a play stand. Feed him veggies and fruits with some seed too, maybe as treats the seed and nuts you can keep. You will find lots of info here on this site. Wishing you lots of luck with your new bird.

Ash
Samantha_Hughes

Hi Ash! Thankyou so much for the reply, after seeing so many people view the topic but not comment I was eager for our first reply!! He is still in our care, we still haven't Hurd anything from anyone else .. He is still happy and content but we are still leaving the lost posters up. We will be buying his cage toys and stand this weekend, I will keep in touch :) Thankyou again!
Samantha
Little Buttercup

Hi, would like to hear more from you. I'm from South Africa but my husband has family in Australia! Where is the ringneck sleeping at the moment? What does he eat? Is it a he or she?
Samantha_Hughes

Hello little butter cup - he is a male and we are currently borrowing a friends large parrot cage, he is on a parrot mix seed and fresh fruit and veg given daily. He adores apple! Thankyou for your comment, Samantha :)
Samantha
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Sammy

Welcome. I'm glad your bird has found you.

You should also look at www.parrotalert.com - you can post a found notice and check for any lost notices.

Ellie.
Samantha_Hughes

Lovely!! Thankyou Ellie :) I hope to post a photo of him in the coming days :)
Samantha
MissK

Post by MissK »

Welcome Sammy,

Don't forget to have the vet check for a microchip.

Best wishes,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
demmo

Post by demmo »

hi samantha

I have recently lost my irn minty,so i know what the birds owners are going through.However i commend your efforts in trying to trace the owners,also in caring for the bird whilst making enquiries.I would have wished for someone like you to have found minty.

cheers
Little Buttercup

Hi Samantha, Nice to have a friends cage for a while. Maybe the owner turn up and you will be left with an empty cage. But i'm sure you will get another one once you get used to these amazing and wonderful birds. About 3 years ago I lost my budgie and never found it. I still think about him and hope he found a better owner than me. :(
nalukaikamahine

Post by nalukaikamahine »

Hello!
Completely, Utterly & Unconditionally In Love With My Baby Ringneck, Apollo!

Little Buttercup

Hi Sammy,
Hows it going with your baby? Everythings fine?

Ash
Samantha_Hughes

Hi guys!!

I'm so sorry about the late replys!
Still no word from the owners, nothing - nothing at all.
We have now named him Ringo ( as he is a male, and has the ring )
We have brought him a large lovely cage on a stand and he just loves it! Hes very funny when he has fresh veggies and fruit he gets very excited and starts saying and whilistling everything he knows! We are bonding well ... I do feel he is a hand raised bird but due to no one handling him for over a week while he was in the " wild " he is a little nervous, but im working on it everyday, hoping to earn his trust. The FOUND notices are still up, and still no reply! It is starting to get very hard not to become attached, but I wont be taking the adds down for quiet sometime yet, but some how im starting to think he chose us for a reason! I still cant believe that he picked us from everyone he could of went to and it still amazes me that while we were at work he would happily still stay around, im taking each day as it comes! But hes just divine ... so I would like to no ... would you like to see a pitcher??? :D
Samantha
Little Buttercup

Hi Sammy, nice to hear that Ringo is happy and has a nice cage. You just have to get attached to such a cute bird. Maybe he will spend the rest of his life you. If he goes back then i'm sure you will want to get another one. Life would be too quiet once you have a ringneck in your home.

Ash
Samantha_Hughes

Thank you Ash! he is doing great! iv just come into the study after spending some time with him! I placed a large water dish on the bottom of his cage and he just went crazy!!! he loves the water! and we are having a warm day here also, so it helps! All going well, and still no word on the lost posters ... ive noticed some have come down that I have placed around the neighborhood and I have had one man try to say he was his bird but the description didn't match and then he changed his mind on the color of bird he was looking for ... not nice! there are some not nice people out there, apart from that all is well :)
Samantha
Little Buttercup

Good to hear that, and all is well with you and your baby. You do get some people that don't do nice things. Just hold on to that bird until you 100% sure of its owner. That bird chose you so you don't just give it to anyone.

Today its exactly 1 year since my first ringneck Little Buttercup went to Heaven :(

Ash
HARO*

Post by HARO* »

Hi Sammy...I am from Australia too..I live near Adelaide in S.A...
My name is kristy & I have a young blue IRN who will be in October 2013
I got him at about 5-6 weeks old & have handraised him..
I named him HARO after my blue Bmx bike...
Haro is such a little character..he is full of personality..
He talks alot ..& even talks in his sleep..
It is great to hear you are taking care of Ringo...its like fate picked you to be his carer
until he possibly can find his owner...
You are doing a great thing...best of luck...
Kristy
Samantha_Hughes

Hi kristy Thankyou for your kind words, ringo is doing very well and still with us, we have still been checking in with local vet clinics and the RSPCA to see of anyone has reported him missing, still no word but were beginning to think its fate too! He's currently learning tricks, he can fly to me from across the room on command now, ill post my first photo of him bellow :) nice to meet you! Samantha
Samantha
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

U are doing a great thing. most people would of tried to catch him and not even tried to locate his owner. my hat is off to u and the great job u are doing!!!!
Samantha_Hughes

Thankyou rockin 562
Samantha
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

so any updates?
risen fury

Post by risen fury »

congrats ...plz don't give the bird to anyone except the owner,they are so charming creatures that will always make u happy...Gud luck