Hello from South Africa

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Supadave

Hello from South Africa

Post by Supadave »

Hi Guys

My name is Dave and i am from Pretoria South Africa, i have had quite a few birds in my life but never ringnecks yesterday i got 3 pairs :D
from a guy in Pretoria West who quit clearly never looked after them there diet was terrible eating only sun flower seeds and once in a blue moon a carrot or two, the birds feathers are not in the best condition either, so i have made it my mission to get them heathly again and hopefully some babies when they ready, according to the owner they did breed in Nov last year.

I am sure ill find lots of info here on the forum..
fionalouise1989

Re: Hello from South Africa

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Welcome Dave!
Thats great of you to take them in and I wish you all the best getting them back to being healthy happy birds. I remember reading about a bird who only ate sunflower seeds but they converted him so it can be done :) Theres heaps and heaps of information on this site. I only got my birdy in november but feel much more informed reading things on here. Hope you find it helpful too!
Regards
Fi
Supadave

Post by Supadave »

Thank you for the warm welcome Fi

I have managed to get them eating a great mix of the following rice,sweet potatoe,mango,pomagranite,fine cut lettice (only a little) crushed egg shells for calcuim, small orange slices, they eating me out of house and home now and have taken to the new diet in a flash i suppose its like taking pudding away for a child and 6 months later introducing it again.... they go crazy and just eat!!
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Welcome to the forum Dave, Its good to hear your birds are coming up well. Good for them that you brought them home. :)

Subodh

P.S. Are they IRN or ARN???
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Thats good to hear that they are taking to their new diet well Dave :) Love the metaphor too lol
Fi
Supadave

Post by Supadave »

subodhhire wrote:Welcome to the forum Dave, Its good to hear your birds are coming up well. Good for them that you brought them home. :)

Subodh

P.S. Are they IRN or ARN???

Hi Subodh

They are IRN'S for sure ill see if i can post some pics later.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Looking forward to see the pics dave.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome Dave, I'm also from South Africa but in the Gauteng area. Often come to Pretoria though. My ringneck Kiwi also was eating seed only but very quickly started eating veg and grains. I let him settle in for 1 week and then started giving him veg and he started taking it quite well so I stopped the seed cold turkey and he is doing fine. He has his sunflower seeds and peanuts for treats as I train him. You lucky to have 3 pairs! Good luck