HORRAY!!!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

kathy

HORRAY!!!!

Post by kathy »

I have had joy with Simon :D . He now comes down on to the Kitchen side to have his food - he still wont let me near him - but he did try to steal my sandwich earlier. My daughter had left her toast on the side and he (she) tried to get to that as well. He landed, for a very very short time on my head trying to get to my sandwich. Such a comic.
I will point out that the side is cleaned often with a sanatary cleaner that is for pets

I got the idea of food training from your site and this seems to be working a treat - but he still takes chunks out of my husband though :P .

Thank you so much guys - i wil look forward to more ideas - thank you again - it means so much. I would however like anybody to tell me how to stop him screeming - it upsets me as much as he sounds upsetImage
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Thats wonderful :D Keep up the good work.

The only real suggestion I have is .. when s/he screams pay Simon no attention at all, eventually s/he should settle in enough to give up on the screaming.

Mind you IRN's, by nature, can be very noisey, their contact call is the loudest most ear piercing thing I have heard and they do tend to answer outside bird noises until they settle in. My guys chatter at particular times of the day.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

sooty

Post by sooty »

You could also try to introduce some more interesing and tolerable sounds to him to give him something else to practise.
Cathy
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

My late-beloved Peek-a-Boo was once a screamer. I tried everything under the sun, short of ignoring her (hard for me to do, very maternal) and NOTHING worked.

Finally, one day my husband let it be known enough was enough, she was really disturbing our entire way of life. Something had to be done because I WAS NOT parting with her. I adopted her, to me that is a life-long commitment.

Anyway, long story short, I one day began ignoring her COMPLETELY when she would scream, pay her attention otherwise. By ignoring a bird that means to not even look in that direction. Looking over is more than enough to perpetuate the problem.

You have to be so cunning and convincing that the bird starts to believe you cant here that particular sound. IRNs arent here to please, I assure you.

This is how it should go (or how I reached success I should say):

Throughout the day, walk by and talk to the bird when it isnt screaming. Interact with the bird as you always would EXCEPT when it screams simply DO NOT even bat an eye.

The WORSE thing you can do is beg it to stop, tried that. My husband, being the idiot he can be tried screaming shut up back, that only encouraged her because then she was like YES! Because thats what they want. So, please dont do that. He took a sucker punch everytime. (Dont nobody scream at my babies!)

Unlike an odd looking mole, ignore it and I literally promise you it will cease. I had the screamer of all screamers, she lived to scream and being ignored put a stop to it.

Only to be struck with a heart attack some months later. :cry:
~ Mikaela Sky

kathy

Post by kathy »

thank you for you words of encouragement. Did i say that Simon was once hand tame - he now walks about on the side - unless you get too close. lol.
I have tried to ignore him - ooooooooo its hard - lol. He eventually went to sleep - so i thought it would be a good time to tidy the bedrooms (he wont leave the kitchen for some reason) - and boy did s/he shout and scream till i came back - only to sit throught the pain and ignore him some more - i hate doing it but - there you go
When he is chuntering to himself and i have nothing to say - coz i am cleaning - i sing - not a pleasent experience for him - so maybe he is getting his own back
Hope you like the new picciesof Simon and his companion Tango the Rotwieler

ImageImageImageImage
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Mikaela right on the money! Very good answer!
8)
Best Wishes, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

*gleams with pride*

Hey, learned from the best! IRN.com rocks!
~ Mikaela Sky