first time breeder

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jasmine81

first time breeder

Post by jasmine81 »

Hi all I am very new to breeding birds so I brought a blue pair off a friend at the start of the year she told me she usually gets 4 eggs and 3 hatch well she was right except all 4 hatched they r now being hand reared so I went in to put saw dust in the box as the nights are still cold and she has laid more eggs witch she has never done before i'm just wondering what the chances are of the eggs hatching
McmillanBirds

Re: first time breeder

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Jasmine81

There is a good chance the eggs will be fertile and hatch. About 80% of the time my pairs go down with a second clutch the eggs hatch. Only ocassionally they don't.
Where about are you situated as this could help with the outcome.
4 of my pairs have just started laying their second clutches.

Regards
Carmen
jasmine81

Post by jasmine81 »

Thanks Carmen :) I guess time will tell it's all very exciting. I love in Melbourne and the weather is all over the place
jasmine81

Post by jasmine81 »

1 of the eggs hatched last night or today so there's my answer patients
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Congrats Jasmine!

How are your first babies going? Did you say you pulled them from the nest for hand-rearing?
Regards Deb
jasmine81

Post by jasmine81 »

They r doing really well they will be 9 weeks tomorrow and yes they were pulled for hand rearing I am getting very attached to them I got the Dna back today and there r 2 boys and 2 girls :)
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Oh yay! Good for you :) I would love to start breeding IRNs, but that is still a couple of years away yet. In the meantime, I will just go ga-ga over everyone else's babies :D
Regards Deb