Hi Guys :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Wild_brumby

Hi Guys :)

Post by Wild_brumby »

Hi All,

My name is Sarah. My partner and I live in Tamborine, QLD, Australia. We both work at a Harness Racing stable and I have been breeding and rearing parrots for the last couple of years. Mostly Cockatiels and Conures. However, my partner and I are currently getting into Ringnecks. We currently have a Lutino (Hen) and a Green (Cock) which we bought as a breeding pair a few months ago. They are currently sitting on 2 eggs. There where 3 eggs but one got tossed out for whatever reason.... I am also currently raising 2 babys.... When I bought them the lady said they where only 2 weeks old... I question that due to previous exp... I belive they are closer to 4 weeks old as their wings are nearly fully featherd... Anyway, I have been rearing them for over a week now and they are making good progress :) We also have a large range of Birds, including Quakers, Alexandrines, Janday and Nanday Conures, Cockatiels, Budgies and other Ringnecks which arn't listen above.....

The Reason I joined this Forum is to simply ask questions where I need to.... Hopefully getting the right answers and scanning the internet can be difficult.... I am slowly trying to work out genetics for Ringnecks, which I will admit, for me is not easy to understand at the time being hehe

One question I have at the moment is do Albino ringnecks have to have red eyes?? I understand that albinos come from the lack of pigmentation, causing the pale skin and feathers. (My sister and brother both have albinism so I understand about that). I guess what I am trying to say is.... My partner and I picked up a 12month old (apparently Male) ringneck from some people. He is pure white feather wise... His feet are pale pinky/white. They arn't as pink as one of our Lutinos... However his Eyes are more Blue then anything else.... If he is not Albino is he just a 'white' ringneck? I will admit, I have never seen a white ringneck with non red eyes.... That I remember anyway :)

Thanks for any help guys, and I will see you all around :)
Sarah
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: Hi Guys :)

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family :-) I don't know a great deal about the whites/lutimo's and the red eyes, but I do know that I have been asked if my lutino was a true lutino ie: sporting true lutino red eyes, so maybe you are correct and your bird is a white not albino.
Maybe you could post the question on the breeding section as those that frequent there know all about breeding and genetics.
:mrgreen:
Cheers,
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Wild_brumby

Re: Hi Guys :)

Post by Wild_brumby »

No worries, thank you for your help. I'll do that for sure! :)

Sarah