New IRN owner:)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Keiri

New IRN owner:)

Post by Keiri »

I have just purchased a 3 and half week old IRN from a well known bird shop. I'm currently hand feeding him and keeping him in a box. I was just wondering if its normal for them to be quite scared when i open the lid of the box. Im also curious if theres a limit i should be holding him?
When will i be able to tell the gender of the baby?
Thanks
McmillanBirds

Re: New IRN owner:)

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Keiri

The ringneck should settle down after a few days. They become nervous when their environment changes when they are young and come right after a few days. When I sell my babies(at 4 weeks and older), I generally tell the people that it will take a few days before they start eating properly from them and settle into their new homes. When I got my girl 9years ago the breeder neglected to inform me this and I couldn't understand why she was so scared and would barely eat(she was between 5 and 6weeks old). Then 2 days later it was like the sun coming out and she couldn't get enough food.

I suppose there is no limit to handling, but remember they are like babies and 'sleep/rest' a lot. They like dark spaces too until they are about 6-7weeks old, then they become adventurous and start exploring.

I hope this helps a little. I know the guys I am handrearing at the moment(from 2 and a half to 3 weeks old) don't like sudden and loud noises, they start 'growling', but once they become more accustomed to you and a household environment versus an aviary environment they do more calling for food(my 4 week old babies) than anything else :lol:

Carmen
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

I forgot to add, you will only be able to tell the sex of the baby when it is 2-3years old. If it is a male it will get a dark ring, unless it is a lutino/creamino, it will get a red ring, or albino in which case it won't get a ring at all.

The only way to tell the sex of the bird earlier is to get it dna or surgically sexed.
Keiri

Post by Keiri »

Thanks so much:) even after a night I saw big difference, I think he got a bit scared from the 2 hr car trip home. His surprisingly eating really well and when I take the lid off his box he pokes his head out to look around.
-epo-

Post by -epo- »

Hi and welcome to the site!
Keiri

Post by Keiri »

thank you:)
DanNic

Post by DanNic »

Welcome :D