my ringneck's strange behaviour

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

celestral

my ringneck's strange behaviour

Post by celestral »

hi guys.my female ringneck is behaving strangely.normally she has an attitude problem and she is aggressive to the male ringneck we have but at other times she gets on really well with him.i believe that they are mating at the moment,i think.since all of this behaviour started,she has gone really quiet and if i go to her cage and try to give her a rub under the neck or on her head,she is not doing that at the moment.my hubby spent all of last sunday building a nesting box and he made their cage they share bigger.she is spending her time in the nesting box now but she does come out on and off.even the male has gone in their too.how do you know if a ringneck is pregnant?how long do they stay pregnant for?they have spent years doing the mating thing.she puts her head back and clucks like a chicken.he bows his head with his wings spread and makes some weird noise.they also seem to be doing a lot of kissing.with in the last 3 weeks he has been jumping on her back occassionally but we were not sure if they were actually mating.has anyone had experience with all of this?you can tell i am confused a bit.thanks for reading this.take care. :?: :roll: :shock:
McmillanBirds

Re: my ringneck's strange behaviour

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi

This is normal behaviour when your birds bond and start to mate. When the male climbs on her back they are most likely mating. IRNs generally mate for roughly 3 weeks(sometimes more, sometimes less) before they lay their first eggs. She can lay anything from 3-6 eggs as a guideline. Birds do not become 'pregnant' like humans. Once all of her eggs have been laid she will incubate(sit on them) for 21-24days. The first egg should start hatching then and normally 1, maybe 2 eggs will hatch per day.

Hope that helps

Carmen