IRN eating a moth?

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Pete_and_meeks

IRN eating a moth?

Post by Pete_and_meeks »

we have been having a small issue with little moths in the house of late. our Zebra finches and Irn are all indoors. we think is because of the bird seed that they flick around. anyway today i went to feed our IRN some pear when i found eh had one of the small moths in his beak. is it usual for IRNS to eat insects or could he just have been curious?
ellieelectrons

Re: IRN eating a moth?

Post by ellieelectrons »

I suspect it's probably ok... but the reason I'm responding is I had a plague of pantry moths a short while ago and it drove me crazy. I found out they come in from the supermarket - can come in via bird seed but ours was more likely human food. The larva can even get into tupperware containers (I even found one on its way under a childproof cap for medication) - so I had a huge clean out of my pantry and through heaps of stuff away. I called our pest exterminator and he told me to buy these moth pheremone traps that are pesticide free. It takes some time but it works a treat. If you don't nip it in the bud, the cycle will just keep going. The second I took the pheremone pad out of the box, the moths were all swarming around me. A bit of residue must have stayed on my finger because a couple of moths followed me into my study. Anyway, here's the pantry trap that I used:
http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/pr ... ry/PAHPMT2

There are a number of brands on the market and I noticed there is a similar trap for moths in your wardrobe.

I did a bit of reading about the problem and it's more common than you think. Luckily, moths don't spread germs but they are mighty annoying!

Good luck!

Ellie.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: IRN eating a moth?

Post by kyria »

Not a problem, good protein ;-)
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------