My Introduction

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

McmillanBirds

My Introduction

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi :)

My name is Carmen. I live in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. I bought my first IRN (green, her name is Biscuit) 8yrs ago, I handraised her from about 6wks and i was hooked. I made a promise to myself that i would eventually start breeding these beautiful birds. I started breeding ringnecks about 3yrs ago with only two pairs and a couple of youngsters. This year I will have 8 pairs of ringnecks, a pair of white capped pionus's, a pair of senegals and a pair of plumheads.

I am very soft hearted and tend to take in all the strays that people do not want anymore. Most recently i was given a canary called Tinkie Winkie who sings his heart out, a cockateil named Georgie who chatters constantly and what I can make out he says "hello georgie boy" and a couple of other things and a Quacker parrot who surprisingly doesn't make a lot of noise but says "hello" crystal clear and sends my four dogs into a barking frenzy because they think someone is in the house.

I know this is my introducton, but i also have a query and any input would be most appreciated. My one pair of ringnecks male=blue( which i found out is split for ino by the latest clutch of babies) female=green, I think my female had a stroke last year just before breeding season, she is generally quite a calm bird, but when i went out to the aviaries i noticed she almost had a nervous twitch in her head, and upon going into the aviary to see what was wrong she could no longer fly and crashed into the wire and then into the floor. As time passed the twitch disappeared and her flying skills are better but not perfect. There is nothing else physically wrong with her and her feathers are in perfect conditon.I left her with the male as he was feeding her and did not reject her(she now goes to collect food on her own), she later went on to have a clutch of 3 babies, 2 green and 1 lutino. Am I doing the right thing by letting her stay with her partner and live out the rest of her life as stress free as possible? I am scared that if i move her she will panic and have a heart attack. We have learned to work around her by moving slowly and letting her get to comfortable positions in the avairy while we are in there.

Thanks in advance for any replies and this is a fantastic sight that has helped me figure out the mutations of some of my birds and has made me even more eager for breeding season this year. :D
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Re: My Introduction

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family Carmen. You sound like me with the taking in birds, just don't let it do to you what it did to me, it took over my life and I ended up, stressed out and doing a total back flip, I moved a lot off to new homes, I love the memories of each and every one though and still visit many of them as they are close by. I would do exactly what you have done with the female, but a total vet check would also be a great idea with blood work to rule out any nasty you could be passing on the the rest of the flock and the babies. I am glad she is coming around and has a lovely partner to look after her. You may want to copy and paste the section of query and post it on the other forums to get more attention for an answer.

Cheers and again Welcome !!

~Angie~
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thank you Angie, I will do that. The canary will be going to my gran when she is more settled as she has just had an operation. She has always wanted one. I will miss him as his song is so beautiful and he is always so happy to see me but I know i have too many cage birds. As for the cockateil, I already had one so I am hoping to introduce them slowly to each other and eventually put them together, they get excited when they hear each other. The quaker I am not sure what to do with him yet, I know someone who breeds with them but he has a lump on his chest that I am not sure if its a fatty deposit from the wrong diet or a birth defect so a little worried he may be attacked by others. If all else fails and it becomes too much I will find them loving homes. Its so nice to be able to discuss all the bird things with other people interested in birds and who probably know more than I do. Thanks again Angie
Naalnish

Post by Naalnish »

Hi my name is Naalnish from UK. Thanks fro your sharing nice information.
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Thankyou Naalnish:-)
claire

Post by claire »

Hello, I am new here too. It is so happy to find people here are so nice and friednly! :lol: :lol:
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Nice to meet you Claire:-)