Greetings all!!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jubbin2001

Greetings all!!

Post by jubbin2001 »

Hello All,
I just wanted to introduce myself, I am Justin and I live in MN. I recently aquired 2 IRNs from a rescue group. One of them is a nice blue/green almost a slate blue, and the other is kind of a pastel greenish-yellow. I want to add pictures, but the birds are way to scared since they've already had a trying night.

A little background on the birds:
They look to be a male/female pair and are quite fond of each other. They came from a breeders house who was too old to take care of them, so she surrendered them. They are not (unfortunately) anywhere near hand tame, and the female gets really upset when I get near the cage. The previous owner did go downstairs and read to them every night, but other than that I am unaware of any other human interaction.

Currently I have them in a 32"Wx38"Hx21"D Centurion flight cage, with plans to build a new 48"Wx6'Hx30"D cage for them. I know I am probably up for quite a challenge to tame these birds, but I think it can be done. Once things settle down for them, I will try and get some pictures to share. They really are beautiful, and I am looking forward to working with them.

Thanks all!
Azure

Re: Greetings all!!

Post by Azure »

Welcome Justin!

It sounds like you are doing well with your beautiful new IRN. IRN are generally tamable and have the ability to mimic speech, are quite vocal too. Depending on how lucky you are with their temper and personality, you might miss the "dreaded" buffing where the birds starts bitting for no reason (think of rebellious teenagers). But everyone on the site will agree with me that the companionship of a ringneck is worth it!
Welcome to the site and may your ringneck experience be smooth, fullfilling and above all, fun!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
jubbin2001

Re: Greetings all!!

Post by jubbin2001 »

Thanks for the welcome!

I am very excited to work with these birds. For the time being I am giving them as much space as I can to let them settle in, while still trying to mantain a presence.

I have been treating them with fresh oranges, apples and bannanas, which they are loving. I have found they are not very fond of carrots, or red leaf lettuce as they are quick to pull both out of the dish and drop them to the cage bottom. I am going to be making some mash here in the near future, hopefully they will like it. Real soon they will get a chance with some sugar snap peas, green beans, and some baked pinto beans, as I want them to have a variety of food, not just fruits.

They are still quite vocal when someone nears the cage, but the flapping and fluttering around seems to be at a lull (not holding my breath :D ). They still get quite flighty when someone has a hand in the cage, but that is to be expected given their previous life. On a good note, my wife did get the male to take a piece of banana from her hand through the cage bars. I think that's a pretty good start so far. I am very hopeful, and I am sure I can turn these birds around.