Getting a RingNeck soon!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

jmmercer

Getting a RingNeck soon!

Post by jmmercer »

I have wanted a bird for awhile now. I'm definitely one of those "bird people". I am 31, a student at Cardinal Stritch, and I work a little catering on the side. =) I'm also an "animal person". I have two cats and two dogs. Also a fresh and a saltwater fish tank. My partner and I love our animals dearly and cannot wait to bring our feathered friend home.
I was first introduced to Indian RingNecks on YouTube. Marnie, a particularly talkative IRN, has many videos on there. I've looked through many online forums for additional information about IRN's and found this one to be the most informative. I look forward to sharing my journey with you. :D
Also, I've been brainstorming names. Interested to see what others might come up with. =)

ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Getting a RingNeck soon!

Post by ringneck »

Welcome to our forum! I'm so glad you've decided to purchase a pet ringneck and that you have done your research before you make this lifelong commitment. These are wonderful companions to have, and I can speak from experience, that they really are the highlight of my day. I just love when it walked into the house and my birds run through their vocabulary to try to get my attention.

Welcome to our forum! We look forward to hearing many great stories about you and your ringneck. :wink:

Best wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. :) Once I am able, I'll post pictures of my new feathered companion. I've found a great breeder in Texas and I'm getting my bird around the 16th of May. I'm very excited! :mrgreen:

amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Hello, I'm new also, we ate getting two irns from a breeder from Texas also, the birdelady, Deborah....is this where yours came from? Ours will be here this evening, we are most excited!!!!
Good luck with yours, what name did you come up with??? We can't decide either!
Ann
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

Yes! I am getting mine from Deborah. Isn't she lovely? :D We decided on Emerson because I'm a fan of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Are you expecting males or females? We are getting a female.

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I'm jealous.... I want a bird from Deborah too!

If you are from Texas then you're also from the state where Barbara Heidenreich of Good Bird Inc. http://www.goodbirdinc.com/ lives! I think she's from Austin. It would be well worth checking out the events she is holding in your area: http://www.goodbirdinc.com/calendar.html

She is who I aspire to be!

Ellie.
dholari

Post by dholari »

Hi ellie,
i dont know who barabara is becos she is a celebrity , but for newbies like me and others around you have been more than any barbara in giving out your practical advice with tons of patience .. you are no less a celebrity on this forum .. god bless you and your family(birds included)
three cheers to you

regards
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

I am actually from WI, so that would be a bit of a trek...but it seems to me she's a pretty amazing lady. :)

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

dholari wrote:Hi ellie,
i dont know who barabara is becos she is a celebrity , but for newbies like me and others around you have been more than any barbara in giving out your practical advice with tons of patience .. you are no less a celebrity on this forum .. god bless you and your family(birds included)
three cheers to you
Dholari, you are very kind. Thanks!

Ellie.
amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Small world eh JMM , we got our last Thursday two beautiful males a blue and a yellow, they are very traumatized buy the long day in flight and cargo holds, it was like 10 hours for them, we are in mi, I would love to hear your comments on your birds, so far so good with mine, we've named yellow boy, Larry, not sure why just cause its funny to hear a bird called Larry and it just kinda stuck, and the other is Blu, my little blu bear!! We have had a few days of frustration getting them to warm up to me, but today we made some progress!!! It's gonna be such fun, tell me bout Emerson!!
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

I'm glad yours are warming up. Emerson had a shorter flight from Texas to Wisconsin, but she was clearly ready to leave her crate when we picked her up! She flew right out to greet us. :) She's a very pretty blue/green color with a darker color blue/green on her wings. Beautiful coloring. She's warming up to us, but it's a slow process. She's learning step up and getting used to being petted and whatnot. Yesterday, she let me scratch her beak. She hasn't bitten at all yet (I would imagine there's plenty of time for that), and she's a very quiet little bird. I think she may have too many feathers clipped because, when she does try to fly, she only gets a foot off the ground and doesn't land gently. I'm thinking that when it's time for her next trim, I will let the vet decide what is best. He didn't seem happy with the amount of feathers she'd had clipped.
Anyway, Emerson is adjusting nicely. She doesn't get what toys are for yet, so we're teaching her that they make fun noises and aren't something to fear. Her absolute favorite food is spaghetti squash, although spicy peppers come a close second. ;)
This is our little Emerson after her first birdie bath. :)

amb4693

Post by amb4693 »

Hello, I'm thinking our birdies are litter blu as we are calling him is the same colorings, I panicked the other morning when I got up and he looked just like your emmerson, thought he was fighting with Larry the yellow one, then got closer to the cage and the floor was wet....lol silly birds, we had to have blus wings clipped even more he flew right into a window and then all over the house, up to ceiling fans, it was crazy, they will fall right to floor with clipped wings but I don't want a dead bird cause they are just learning!! Good luck with yours!!! She is beautiful!!!
Ann