First IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

spdbalshaw

First IRN

Post by spdbalshaw »

Hi Everyone,

I just got Devon my first indian ringneck last week, he is a blue white lacewing Male, and only about 8-10 weeks old. My first bird since my budgie i had when i was about 10 years old. He is hand reared and already so tame, with no fear of anyone or anything. So far everything is going great, he seems to be settling in fine. He is on a pellet diet, and once per day i feed him some fresh fruit and vegetables, finely chopped up so he doesnt just pick out all the corn, which is his favourite fruit and veg by far. (I am working on convincing him their are other foods just as good)

I have a few questions regarding training and treats. His absolute favourite treat is peanuts, and i have only been giving these to him when i have him out of the cage as a treat and a way to get him to bond with me, (and to coax him of my hand back into his cage, because he absolutely loves being out of his cage) he is already flying a short distance to me on the couch from the coffe table in our lounge for a peanut (he is clipped, so only very short distance). I am just wondering if he would be to young to start clicker training? Or what an appropriate age is?

Also i am concerned about the fat content in peanuts, and was wondering if anyone could tell me how many peanuts per day is to many, at the moment because i do not know, i have only been giving him one, maybe 2 per day in small pieces, but i do not know if this is to many, or if that is ok. He just loves these so much i am sure when i get into clicker training he would do anything for me for a piece of peanut, making it a perfect treat.

I have been reading this forum for months while i waited to get Devon, and it has been so helpful to prepare for Devon's arrival, and i am glad now that i can post myself and hopefully someone can answer some of my questions.

Thanks Shem.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: First IRN

Post by ringneck »

Hello NAME

First, let me commend you for doing your research before getting a parrot! I love the fact you have been reading the forum for months before making your decision. Many people unfortunately make the mistake of not knowing what they are getting into. Bravo!

As for the peanuts, I would say it is fine; however, find other foods that really stimulate your parrot. For example, my birds love lentils and brown rice! That is enough to make them go crazy! Peanuts do contain large amounts of fats—but in my experience I have never run into problems with them. Just be sure to give your ringneck plenty of exercise and look for other alternatives to give as treats to your parrot.

As far as clicker training is concerned, it’s never too early or too late! In fact, the sooner you start the better! Especially because the bird’s brain is hardwiring about its surroundings at such a young age! I say go for it!

Wishing you all the best of luck my friend :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
spdbalshaw

Post by spdbalshaw »

Thanks Imran for the reply, it was actually a long process between me ordering my baby bird and getting it, which was why i was able to do so much research. The first bird the breeder had set aside for me was a blue male which went a bit hand shy so they put it out in the aviary to become a breeder, then the second one got attacked by older birds the day before i was to pick him up and they had to have him put down, so i am very glad to finally get my IRN. For a while there it looked like it wasnt meant to be, haha.

Thanks for your advice regarding treats etc. that was what i was hoping to hear, i have been trying to minimise the amount of peanut i give him and trying to slip in other treats as well without him , in the hope that he realises how many other great treats there are out there for him. The more he eats the easier it is going to be for both of us hey in the long run.

Think i will start introducing him to the clicker soon to, his personality seems just so extroverted i feel like i need to keep his mind stimulated. Am really looking forward to him developing over the next few months, both mentally, and physically, as he is still very clumsy getting around which is funny and slightly worrying at the same time seeing some of the positions he gets himself into. I have to keep a close eye on him all the time.

Anyway, thanks again Shem.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I use a variety of treats for training. As far as nuts go, I buy human consumption granulated nuts. They are so really small so it doesn't take them too long to eat them and I don't worry as much about the fat content.

I also sometimes use peanuts in their shells (and wrapped in newspaper) as foraging items to keep them amused in their cage and sometimes I use almonds in this way too.

Ellie.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Wonderful! Looks like the stars have aligned for you Shem! You know this means lots of photos! :lol: :wink:

Ellie, what a wonderful idea for foraging ! Very neat! I gotta try that! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
spdbalshaw

Post by spdbalshaw »

hey i just tried to upload a couple of photos here using photobucket, and it wouldnt let me, said my post looked to spammy for a new user. do you know what to do to get around that? I just copied the image code in from photobucket?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

hey spdbalshaw,

I am so sorry you are getting that message! After you hit 25 posts the ban will lift. We had to do that as a lot of children access this forum and we were getting spam--really bad spam :roll: Again, i am sorry! :(

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
spdbalshaw

Post by spdbalshaw »

oh thats fine, least there is a specific reason and not just down to my incompetence on here, ha.

Devon is going great, he is eating fine and i made him a bird bread with all sorts of goodies in it for him and he loves going through that and picking out his favourite bits. I think this is a really great way to get your parrot to eat a wide variety of foods. His favourite foods were are by far peanuts, so to get him to eat his bird bread i sprinkled some crushed up peanuts on top of the bread before it was cooked, which at first he just started picking at these, but now he tears it apart and really gets into it.

Thats all for now, thanks Shem.