Hello a newbie from Melbourne Australia

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Athame

Hello a newbie from Melbourne Australia

Post by Athame »

Hi everyone!!

My name is Dawn and i brought Heeki home a week ago, he is an 8 week old IRN. Heeki is a pastel teal geen and is gorgeous, of course i'm biased.

I have to say that this site is amazing, i have been readings posts for the last fews weeks, leading up to bringing Heeki home and i have learnt alot.
I am new to this bird life lol and i am loving it. My partner has had an IRN before however it was a long time ago.

He was not hand reared and wasnt handled very much before he came to us, he had only been out of the nesting box for about 8 days, however he is getting better. He doesnt bite unless very scared which is great, however he is scared of our bare hands. If i wear my black motorbike glove he loves that or as long as i cover my hand with black he is ok, i am trying to introduce our bare hands bit by bit and he is reacting less and less. so i patience is the key.
He eats from my hand (as long as it has the glove on it :wink: ).

Heeki comes to work with us (my partner and I) everyday and sits between us at the desk and is getting used us. i have had him out of the cage twice and let him roam around, he has moments of panic and moments of 'im ok' i am going to continue to do this as often as i can and i try to have physical contact as often as i can too as we want him to be tamed so we can have him out of the cage.

If anyone has anymore suggestions i'm more than open to them
Anyway this is me, im pleased to be on here and i'm looking forward to chatting with everyone

Cheers Dawn :lol:
Azure

Re: Hello a newbie from Melbourne Australia

Post by Azure »

Warm welcome Dawn.
You are doing well, keep it up, I can't think of much that you need to do other than what you are doing. Heeki seems to have a great life now. Have fun with your new friend! :D
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
Athame

Re: Hello a newbie from Melbourne Australia

Post by Athame »

Thanks Azure

It didnt take long for Heeki to become a major part of our school and home. :lol: