New and very excited

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lene1949

New and very excited

Post by lene1949 »

Hi

My name is Lene and I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

On Friday I bought an Alexandrine, only 4 weeks old... Name is Max for short regardless whether he's a male or female.

He's such a smooch, and he's eating really, really well. Takes less than 5 minutes to feed him. The breeder said he needs only 2 feeds per day, but I feed him 3 times and supplement with fresh vegies and seeds.

He spends his time in a pet carrier, and after each feed he'll spend time with me, getting scratches and beak strokes.. When he's about to go to sleep, he go back into the carrier.

I've got him a cage, and today I put him in there for about 5 minutes... My dog Ben (they have already been introduced) went up to sniff, and Max Lunged at him... and I thought he was a helpless little bird. Ben backed off... lol.. Ben is a large goofy dog (Great Dane X) and he too is very excited about Max, but he's such a roughie.

I'm taking photos of Max every day, so I can see him grow.

I have two other birds in an aviary outside. A shortbilled Corella, named Cory, and a Galah, named Echo. These birds came from people who were afraid of them, and didn't want them anymore. They're both the most gentle birds you can get.

I did have another bird inside... He was a Quaker, male, named Shrek... The bottom of his cage had quite a gap, and I think a wild rat got to him... I heard him screaming in the middle of the night, and he was sitting at the bottom of the cage, full of blood... I took him into my bed and he slept in my hand for the rest of the night... Unfortunately he didn't make it. This was about a month ago, and I have so missed having a bird friend in my office.

That's why I purchased a new cage for Max - not even a mouse will be able to get through those wires.

Thanks for listening.
Lene
Melika

Re: New and very excited

Post by Melika »

I'm sorry about Shrek. I had a rat get into my aviary outside and eat a cockatiel and kill a budgie. Good thing IRNs are aggressive, right? Hane chases the dogs too!

Your life with your birds sounds very peaceful. Welcome. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay