RINGNECKS AS ILLEGAL

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lindad11

RINGNECKS AS ILLEGAL

Post by lindad11 »

Hi everyone,

I unfortunately live in the state of New Jersey and recently found out that it is illegal to own Ringnecks. I read somewhere that they are considered "agricultural pests". This is so ridiculous to me. I am so disappointed by this ruling because I really want to own one of these gorgeous and entertaining parrots! This breed of parrot has everything I am looking for. Does anybody know if they can be owned with a special permit? Maybe I should call the dept. of agriculture? Thanks. :cry:
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: RINGNECKS AS ILLEGAL

Post by ringneck »

lindad11,

I feel your pain! It makes me really sad that they are not allowed in New Jersey. Even worse, they do not allow permits as there are no exceptions. I was going to try to tell you to get a Quaker but they too are not allowed there as well. But since you wanted a ringneck, I would search for a Great Billed Parrot as they have very similar characteristics. So sorry for the disappointment. :(

Best Wishes,

IMRAN-C
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome to the forum. :D

Such a shame when a gorgeous bird is classed as a pest....just doesn't seem fair although I can understand competition for native animals food, nests etc if a bird does escape, but still sad.
lindad11

Post by lindad11 »

Thank you for the support. The great billed parrot I believe is about $1,000? I really can't afford it. The ringneck was the perfect bird for me, the right size, not expensive and personality. Would you know in which other states the ringneck is illegal?? I feel like moving..lol

I understand the Dept. of Agriculture's point but I have been a bird owner in the past and I would NEVER release my bird in the wild if I did not want it any longer or not keep its wings clipped!! I get very attached to my pets and treat them like they are my children.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Again, I'm so sorry! That's why we are here as we love being a sounding board to bounce off your ideas and thoughts. In fact, I kind of worry about the status of ringnecks in California as many people release these birds thinking they are better off in the wild--they are doing more harm than good for both the ringneck owner and the species. I'm scared California will ban these birds here too. If this should happen, I don't know what I would do! So I empathize with you! :wink:

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

They are classed as pest in Australia too but as yet they are not stopping us to own one.

The reason in Australia is because they eat the farmers fruit crops and normal fields.
(There not the first bird from India to be called a pets in Aus, Indian minor birds)

I read some where in Western Australia they are trying to have them banned and are culling them as they are in huge flocks, We have some parts of the country that are perfect climate for them to live and they are thrieving.

Its a shame they banned them, but its not because all people tlet them go! have a look at how many people post on here and advitised in papers that there ringneck escaped.
they can live once they escape so they naturally breed.

Anyway good luck hopefully you find another bird thats compatible.

Thanks Glenn
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

dog_glenn123,

I know if California we have the worlds largest agricultural commerce--orchards, vineyards, and produce fields. When i am up in Bakersfield, CA it is obvious how abundant these parrots are, it's really a site to see. Like you too have said, the climate is perfect for them to breed here. It is funny because we have some Alexandrines as well mixed with Indian Ringnecks. I know that in the United States we have other pests birds such as the English Sparrow and the Starling, yet no laws have be implemented to remove them--but then again they don't' do the damage ringnecks do :roll:

Escaped or let go, these birds are really smart animals and they are gifted at adapting! It is funny though because of all the wild ones i see there are no colorful ones. Must be because they standout to predators. Poor things! :|

IMRAN-C
dog_glenn123

Post by dog_glenn123 »

Hi Ringneck,

In Aus the Minor bird is similer to starling but the minor are terrible pests and you can buy
a cage that catch's them then you take them to the RSPCA to despoe of them!

We have alot of beatiful parrots here but they minor eats there eggs and then takes there nest to breed themselves.

In Aus the IRN's are similar that the only ones that you usually see are the green but you do see some blues, it appeas the darker they are the better off they are at hiding from preditors!!!.

The problem here beside the crops is the IRN competes for the same nests size as the majority off parrots here as they are very close in size.

Your right thou they are to clever for there own good.

Ta Glenn
Maniiacy

Post by Maniiacy »

ringneck wrote:dog_glenn123,

I know if California we have the worlds largest agricultural commerce--orchards, vineyards, and produce fields. When i am up in Bakersfield, CA it is obvious how abundant these parrots are, it's really a site to see. Like you too have said, the climate is perfect for them to breed here. It is funny because we have some Alexandrines as well mixed with Indian Ringnecks. I know that in the United States we have other pests birds such as the English Sparrow and the Starling, yet no laws have be implemented to remove them--but then again they don't' do the damage ringnecks do :roll:

Escaped or let go, these birds are really smart animals and they are gifted at adapting! It is funny though because of all the wild ones i see there are no colorful ones. Must be because they standout to predators. Poor things! :|

IMRAN-C
Where in Bakersfield do you see them? That's where I live, and I've only ever seen them once outside of my mothers work.
(sorry for the off topic question. :P)
Melika

Post by Melika »

lindad11 wrote:Thank you for the support. The great billed parrot I believe is about $1,000? I really can't afford it. The ringneck was the perfect bird for me, the right size, not expensive and personality. Would you know in which other states the ringneck is illegal?? I feel like moving..lol

I understand the Dept. of Agriculture's point but I have been a bird owner in the past and I would NEVER release my bird in the wild if I did not want it any longer or not keep its wings clipped!! I get very attached to my pets and treat them like they are my children.

Thank you for allowing me to vent.
Another small, inexpensive bird full of personality is the green-cheeked conure. I LOVE those little birds! Unlike the Aratinga genus, Pyrrhura conures are known to be much quieter (quieter than IRNs too).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
kungfuminou

Post by kungfuminou »

Not to be a jerk, but I live on the border of NY & NJ (in NY) and no one "checks you at the border" EVER. You just drive through. You pass a sign. I travel all over and have driven across the US - no one checks you at borders. That's hilarious!

Also, I take my IRN to a woman in NJ to trim his nails and wings - she takes care of my grey too- and when I asked if she could do my IRN, she laughed and told me tons of people in NJ have them. Alexandrines too. You can even find breeders in NJ. It's a ridiculous law. You can purchase IRN's in NY, NYC, and PA ( and NJ lol!) - and they can fly and escape, etc... It's a STUPID law. Anyway, I have friends and fam in NJ and I put my birds in their carriers and go merrily off to NJ to visit.

Even IF you got stopped, no cop will know what you have in the carriers or care and if they do care, they won't know one bird from another. No worries. Just my experience. They can outlaw anything and people do what they want. It's against the law to pump your own gas in NJ. lol People do it anyway. :p