New IRN & question regarding keeping warm

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

miasmum

New IRN & question regarding keeping warm

Post by miasmum »

Hi everyone. Can I just start by saying how glad I am to have found this site! Not much out there for IRN lovers. Anyway, I have a wonderful IRN called Bam Bam & he or indeed she is now just over 5 months old, I have had him (got used to referring to Bam Bam as him even if I'm wrong) since June & love him to bits. I have sooooo many questions as I always want to do the best for him. My main concern at the moment is keepng him warm enough mainly at night. Any ideas? I tried to cover his cage a few days ago for the first time but he freaked out & went from perch to bottom of cage so haven't done it since. Look forward to hearing from someone soon.
Melika

Re: New IRN & question regarding keeping warm

Post by Melika »

Try just covering the top and one side for now, and work up to covering the cage, or all but the front of it. With Hane, I usually only cover the top with an old baby blanket to keep any draughts off- but then again I do live in Florida. :)

In reality, it can get quite chill here (our home is not insulated, as it was built in 1913). I find that with the top covered, and sometimes a side or two, the air movement is kept to a minimum and Hane is able to stay quite warm. With the outdoor aviary I used to have, I would cover it and add a small light for nominal heat.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
pinkdevil

Re: New IRN & question regarding keeping warm

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome miasmum. :D

You are right, there is not alot of info out there for ringneck owners and alot of what is out there, is quite negative about these fantastic birds.

I love the name Bam Bam, very cute.