Introduction to grandkids

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Blueberrybird

Introduction to grandkids

Post by Blueberrybird »

After giving my fid plenty of time to get used to his new home and gaining his trust in me I finally introduced him (outside of the cage) to my 2 very young boisterous, loud grandsons, who like to wrestle each other constantly. My Barry bird did great, I am so happy! He seemed quite amused at the little people that would fetch his balls as he threw them from his playstand, my small house dog was the next intro, I am more afraid of this than anyone, have been keeping the dog closed in the bedroom while the bird is out of the cage, had him in the living room with the bird on his stand, they were aware of each other, but I'm still not sure how my dog will react when Barry flies so I'm still Leary. :(
Blueberrybird

Re: Introduction to grandkids

Post by Blueberrybird »

A leash is a great idea! It is a very scary ( for me) situation. My little dog is my shadow, has been for 12 years. I can't bear the thought of any incidents! I can tell you the bird actually stayed on my finger while we were traveling from cage to stand and back, where he usually flies off several times, I think I will definitely try the leash next time. Thanks :)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi Blueberrybird, welcome. :)

My dogs are outdoor so do not have an issue with them but I do have a cat who is always locked in her room when I have indoor birds out. Just don't want to take the chance as she (cat) is very quick when she wants to be. The cat is an indoor cat and only goes outside on a lead and harness and she STILL manages to catch the little sparrows that play chicken with her....they loose obviously. :roll:
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

Yes, I'm just too afraid to take any chances, the dog sleeps with me and will be fine in another room while Barry has his daily time with us. He is ready to return to his cage promptly at 7 pm. And he will let you know it.:)