new to forums

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lindos

new to forums

Post by lindos »

Hi my name is linda

i have two IRN one is 3 years old i hand rasied her its amazing to do we never found out her sex so we called her bella and hope that it was right. after a year of her loving me she truned into daddys girl :( so much for birthday gift :( when he was not around she was ok with me but when dad came home it was all him gggggggrrrrrrr so by then we thought yes its a she. bella rules our two cats bits them so they stay away so is the queen in our house. she says night night she is amaning the way she love my husband alittle to much i think at times lol
our 2nd IRN is a 10months old sky blue male we had him DNA tested. hes name is disel! and god i have been amazed by him i hand rased him to but he is somthing eles to smart!!! he is starting to talk so far hello and shut up lol shut up was to someone how we didnt like...... good boy :) we tryed having him at home with bella BUT bad news bella HATES HIM :( so we own a pet shop so he is loving it here people just come to see him....
one day i do hope to see them get along one day

any tips ?

thanks linda
countrygirl1

Re: new to forums

Post by countrygirl1 »

Hi Linda,
Welcome to the forums. I have 2 IRNs and my male Taj is a real talker. He says peeky boo, what you doing over there?, hello, do you wanna come out? come on then come on and he has also picked up my laugh. He does it at the funniest times and cracks us all up. He is a lot tamer than my female Raj who doesn't talk.

Don't know if your female will accept your newcomer as they can get quite jealous of competition, but I'm sure that others with more experience will chime in.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Our female IRN also rules our house. We are currently on holidays and my husband's family are looking after them. They have nicknamed Janey the Queen of Sheba because she must get her own way!

Janey also has a stronger bond to my husband than she does to me. I spend more time with them than he does so they both accept me but when my husband is closeby, Janey gets extremely agitated and can't focus on anything else. It is a bit of a fatal attraction though because it can cause her to be aggressive towards him which tends to freak my hubby out. My personal opinion is that this occurred because we took her away from her brothers and sisters too young. I don't think she realizes she is a bird although I think now that we have a second she is starting to understand.

Regarding introducing your second bird, there is a possibility that they will never get along. However, if you keep the second bird away from her, they will never get along. We introduced our two very slowly and let them set the pace. We started with them in different parts of the house and gave them different out of cage time. We gradually moved their cages closer together until they were side by side. We started some out of cage time together. For whatever reason our second bird preferred Janey's cage over his own and would fly to it every time we'd get him out so eventually we gave in and let them cohabitate. We did it at the start of a weekend so that we could check that they weren't being aggressive with each other. They now cohabitate well and get along most of the time. Before cohabitation we did what we could to make the cage 'different' eg. Changing the cage toys, moving the perches and food bowl... in an effort to reduce territorial behaviours from Janey.

Good luck with your two.

Ellie.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Linda.
I have a little grey one of my breeding pair successfully hatched then I raised. Not sure of sex yet but s/he can talk up a storm. I have another bird who lives in the above cage who talks ALLLLL day and has taught Sputnik (grey ringie) so many words. I guess it is hard not to learn to talk when you have a chatterbox upstairs neighbour. :D :lol: