Andrew from Townsville Australia

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

AMH80

Andrew from Townsville Australia

Post by AMH80 »

Hi my name is Andrew & I have recently decided to enter the world of bird breeding with the purchase of my two beautiful Indian Ringnecks. The male is approx 5 years of age & is a blue/lutino & the female is approx 7 years of age & is blue. Today the 21/08/2011 my hen laid her first egg & we are eagerly awaiting the arrival of more in the coming week. Last year they produced a clutch of 5 eggs having 2 blue/lutino cocks & 3 albino hens. I am an experienced breeder of English Staffordshire Terriers but my experience with birds is limited to none so I will greatly welcome any tips, advise & useful knowledge to help me provide as best I can for the newest members of my family. As soon as I can I will post some photos of the birds to be displayed on the mutation page. About myself, I am a 31 year old male with my partner Justine & three children aged 4, 8, & 12. We live in Townsville, far north Queensland, Australia. I work in the mining industry in a nickel refinery so as you can imagine coming home to my birds is like a breathe of fresh air. I'm looking forward to any correspondence from members of IndianRingneck.com.

Cheers

Andrew
Wessel Gordon

Re: Andrew from Townsville Australia

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi Andrew

Welcome to the forum. My 6 year old hen is sitting on her first ever clutch of eggs so I'm also eagerly waiting to see what's going to happen. I didn't notice the first 3 eggs but judging from the date of the last egg all the babies should hatch between the first two weekends of September.

Wessel
Azure

Post by Azure »

Hello Andrew!
Welcome to the site! i hope you have a good experience with breeding birds! they are amazing birds with so many mutations! i have no irns but I'ld love to breed some of them! Learn lots and have fun!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
AMH80

Post by AMH80 »

Hi guys,

I just want to say thank you for the warm welcome. This is the first time I have become a member of a website & had such a positive response. My hen now has three eggs which she had in about a twenty hour period & is dotingly sitting on them & protecting them with a slight aggression towards my prying eyes when I try to catch a glimpse of the eggs. Ariahna I found the link you sent me to be great & absolutely loved the footage of P.J, he must be a pleasure to spend time with. Because I purchased my birds fully matured they will not let me handle them but the female is slowly warming to me & when I press my cheek to the cage she comes over & affectionately rubs her head against me but I have to have quick reflexes for when her mood swings. I am in the process of making a large aviary to house my IRN's & the two Alexandrine parrots I plan on acquiring in the not too distant future. My plan at this point is to let this clutch of eggs hatch & be raised naturally by their mother so I can watch/study/learn as much as I can about their characteristics & behaviour. Next year I plan to try my hand at hand raising the chicks but this will prove to be quite a challenge with the long hours I work, for the first month I will have to take leave from work to give them the attention required. On average how much time per day do you spend with P.J? Did you hand raise him from birth? Wessel have you posted any photo's of your IRN's on the site yet? as I would love to see them. Is your hen hand raised or more of an aviary bird like mine at the moment? Azure thank you for your reply & I hope you do end up with your own IRN's because if they give you half the pleasure mine give me it will be worth it.

Cheers

Andrew
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi AMH

I haven't posted any pics yet, unfortunately...it's a bit of a challenge to make an animal pose, lol.

My hen was given to me as a gift when she was only a few days old so I had no choice but to handraise her. It was my first IRN so I wasn't prepared for the bluffing so I got her a male. At the moment she's more of an aviary bird and a very protective mother-to-be.

Wessel
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome Andrew.

Congrats on your eggies and hope you have a good hatching.
I currently have 3 pair on 12 eggs with another pair having 2 eggs in the nest so far and another hen almost about to lay.
One of the eggs is about to hatch any day now (if not already hatched tonight). I heard the little one tapping from inside the egg yesterday, was a very exciting sound to hear lol.
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Pinkdevil,

At what distance should you be able to hear the tapping from inside the egg? The cage with the eggs in is just outside my window...about 4-5 meters from where I spend most of my time.