dISH, Spoon and Zoey say hello from Gold Coast Aus.

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

lesapie

dISH, Spoon and Zoey say hello from Gold Coast Aus.

Post by lesapie »

Herro all :3
This is dish (mommy) + Spoon (daddy) and our baby Zoey, a Grey 2 yr old female IRN. (the name Zoey comes from a First Person Shooter game where a group of 4 ppl survive an infection (zombies xD) and Zoey definitely fits the physical and mental personality of this character. She strong and very determined and will do anything to get her way lol

We picked her up for cheap off a breeder whom could not look after his birds (he had about 30) anymore because the love of his life (his wife :P) has gotten sicker, the poor darl.
But we took Zoey in, but she is completely untamed due to the aviary life previously. We cannot even get close to the cage without her climbing to the other side, but we move her around the house with us so she is slowly coming around. She yells at me when I first put her in the shower but after a little bit she enjoys the water and then when I turn the water off she screams louder at me because she was enjoying it so much.
Unfortunately Zoey freaked out earlier today and landed funny (her wings are fully clipped - done by me and the previous owner) so she has lost all but one of her tail feathers. Ive checked her out so don't worry :P shes not bleeding and not picking at anything down there and they will grow back xD
ALSO- She's doing something weird, flicking her tongue around her mouth constantly and sticking her claw in her mouth and pulling at it (i think there may be a seed shell or something bothering her, I can't really get close to her to check it out but I managed to 'towel her' and take a quick peak, but that wasn't easy to do. Anyone has any thoughts about it I'd be happy to listen. :)

About mommy n daddy:
Spoon and I have been together 10 months, we now live together with Zoey. Spoon is studying criminology and I'm studying Fine arts and visual culture, so we get to spend everyday together as well as with our beautiful Zoey.

I think that's enough of a Ramble :P
It's nice to meet you all :)
lesapie

Re: dISH, Spoon and Zoey say hello from Gold Coast Aus.

Post by lesapie »

not the best picture because i had to use my phone but i will be getting a new camera soon so I'll take more xD
Azure

Post by Azure »

hello! from what i can see she's a beautiful girl!
is she pulling at her beak or is she pulling at her leg? (like does it seem like something wrong with her mouth or legs?) but it should not be serious, if you feel the need, you could take her to the vet where they can tell you if there is anything wrong with her.
anyways, welcome to the site, learn more, bond well with your bird and most important of all: HAVE FUN :D
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
lesapie

Post by lesapie »

herro =3
she's sticking her claw/s in her mouth and like rimming the bottom of her mouth with the claws.
and yes she is very beautiful and very very intelligent, more than what I expected. I reckon that's normal for new mommies but she can untie a triple leather knot in a few seconds. And she learned in two days that if she screams at us, that we pay attention to her lol. she also knows that taunting the cats was the best way to get vegies and fruits =3 (we used to live with my parents and their cats and dog)

but no I'm sure its her mouth that's the problem. I'm going to ask a mate (a previous breeder/vet) about it and see what he can do for us. If not, I was given a number from the local pet warehouse for a special IRN vet :)
Azure

Post by Azure »

not to be prying but do you live in a house? as in not a unit- as neighbours hate screaming parrots :? and if you encourage screaming you will end up with non-stop screaming which is what people on the site often have trouble with...
check her toe as well, it might be that when she grabbed something (like a pole, the cage or some food) it got wedged. the nail may have cracked? (although that is a wild guess)
i have always been fasinated by these birds! gorgous and intellegent aren't they? (although i dont have one...) :oops: :lol:
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi and welcome.

Did you end up finding out what may (if any) have been the cause of the toe in mouth thing?
lesapie

Post by lesapie »

No we didn't, but she doesn't seem to be concentrating on it as much anymore. I'm going to put it down to boredom, as we only had a temp cage for her. We brought a bigger one recently and shes eating regularly again so I guess I won't worry about it, unless she starts it up again.
lesapie

Post by lesapie »

Azure wrote:not to be prying but do you live in a house? as in not a unit- as neighbours hate screaming parrots :? and if you encourage screaming you will end up with non-stop screaming which is what people on the site often have trouble with...
Whether or not she screams it doesn't matter. As a bird is not classified as a general 'pet' (in queensland rental act) you cannot be reprimanded for a noisy bird. In fact your bird can be louder than a outfitted car and you would get in trouble about the car before any one mentioned the bird. :) Renting places is all my family has done the last 16 yrs. Gone through so much dog-turd with agencies, til we got a copy of the rental act. We win :)
She's not that bad, she makes protesting sounds when we clean or feed, but other then that she just sound like a badly tuned flute. lol