Hello from my new baby and I. :)

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Synth

Hello from my new baby and I. :)

Post by Synth »

Hello everyone!

After weeks of researching birds, my fiance and I decided on getting an Indian Ringneck. We brought home our new baby today, August 4th, and already love him to pieces. :D He's a gorgeous grey with white under his wings.

He pretty much chose us at the pet store, and once he was settled in at home he was eating grapes from our hands.

The pet store couldn't tell us for sure if he was male or female, but we were told that since he has a wide beak and flat head that he may be male. He also has a very faint line that looks like it could be the beginning of a ring under his neck. Since we think and feel he's a boy, we named him Zuko. (After Danny Zuko from Grease. :D )

He's a little nippy, but it's more of him exploring than being bratty. The pet store also told us he was the youngest they had, but couldn't give us an exact age. We're guessing around three months since he was smaller than the other IRNs we've seen, but not by much. He's very alert though, and seems very happy in his new home. :3

I'm attaching the only good picture I was able to get of him today. I'm probably going to keep a blog of some sort on his development.

As for me, I'm a 23 year old graphic design / illustration junkie, going back to college in the winter or spring. I love to draw, and do anything crafty, so I'll probably be making tons of toys and play stands / perches for Zuko while I wait for my financial aid to come through for school. I look forward to spoiling our baby.

My fiance is a 21 year old guitar playing, car & motorcycle fixing sweetheart who loves our Zuko as much as I do. :3

Well, that's all for now. I look forward to being part of the community, and to watching Zuko grow. Nice to meet you all, and thank you! :D

ellieelectrons

Re: Hello from my new baby and I. :)

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi and welcome... that's a gorgeous little guy you have there!

Ellie.
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

So cute! Welcome and enjoy! There is TONS of good info on the site( I'm new to birds a looked up abt everything.lol). Everyone is super helpful on answering questions and concerns. Best wishes on ur new bird journey, and enjoy the site.
IMG_20110813_181145-1.jpg
DeeDeeLutino

Post by DeeDeeLutino »

they are just tooooooooo sweet :D
Synth

Post by Synth »

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :D

And a special thanks from Zuko, ellieelectrons. :P He is quite adorable. I originally wanted a blue or violet, but he stole our hearts at the pet store, and now I enjoy studying the varying degrees of grey and white on him. <3

Yes, he is starting to let us pet him more, and is very sweet! I'm really not looking forward to the bluffing stage, but thanks to all the research I've done, and the community here, I think we'll be fine. :3

ShirleyBird- Yeah, I'm really new too, and I love this site and board! Everyone seems so friendly, and there's so much information here. I often find myself going back and reading old posts from previous pages just for more information!
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

Lol. I know! You can get lost for days just reading old blogs. I learned so much already and I am continuing to learn more things. I wish I would have found this BEFORE I got my birds, I would have probably chosen from a breeder( not that I don't enjoy my birds, I just had no clue how much work it would be to tame ) Sorry for rambling ....make sure you post more pics....he's so cute!* I'm using an android and can't figure how to post yet.lol. I got the photo bucket but still have no clue. I have a love/ hate with computers!
Synth

Post by Synth »

Yeah, I've gotten lost quite a few times already!

I wish I'd have gotten my bird from a breeder as well, but we love Zuko so much, and wouldn't change a thing. He steps up and hangs out with us, but doesn't really like / know what getting pet is yet.

I have an android too. :D I post from my computer though. I take the pictures off my phone, to my computer, then upload and post them.

If you're having trouble posting pictures, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help. :3
ShirleyBird

Post by ShirleyBird »

Thanks so much for offering to help, but I don't have internet access from my home yet( we live in rural Ohio in the Appalachians and live 1 mile outside of Verizon's area...stupid cause that is who our wireless carrier is) . The scenery is BEAUTIFUL here but service and driving far everywhere is definitely downfalls. Thx again! Btw...Grease is 1 of my favorites ( not the 2nd tho, lol..)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

G'day from Australia!
I can see why you fell in love with Zuko, beautiful.