Hello from Australia!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Shrek&Fiona

Hello from Australia!

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Hey, I'm from Australia. I got my IRN when an old boss of mine found him sitting on her pool fence. The silly woman wasnt a fan of me so though I offered to take him she decided to be bull headed and keep him. She had him in a ornamental bamboo cage which I would only put finches in and fed him solely on Wild Bird Seed which is basically corn, wheat, those round red seeds and sunflower seeds. I know, outrageous right?! Anyway, he could talk a bit and drove her spoilt little lap dogs up the wall. They thought there was an intruder in the house and used to bark all day, he thought it was hilarious. Eventually she admitted it wasnt going to work and gave him up to me after asking all her other employees and have them all tell her that she should ask me. When i got him he didnt have his ring in and was in the bluffing stage. I named him Shrek because he is large, green and obnoxious (much like a 3 yr old). I want to breed him now so I'm here to gain as much information as possible since my new aviary is coming tomorrow and I shop for a mate asap. Looking forward to sharing information and experiences with everyone!
If vision is the only validation then most of my life isn't real.
quite IRN

Re: Hello from Australia!

Post by quite IRN »

which part of Australia are you at ?

and what is wrong with that diet ? ( i got the same diet for my bird (bought it from Big w, there was wild parrot food and parrot food but they basically had the same ingredients also there was small parrot food but IRN's are medium so i decided to buy parrot food and the brand is trills which i trust) but i add fruits and veggies with it and also some treats) is that bad ?

here is a link to the two products i am talking about, please tell me which one i should buy for next time or should i change it now ?

http://www.trill.com.au/products/parrots.asp#2

thank you !
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

That seed is not wrong unless it is the only thing you are feeding the bird ever. I suggested fresh foods as well but she wouldn't listen to me at all. She was the master of all things and did not like listening to advice. I mix wild bird seed with some small parrot food so that Shrek has a larger mix of seeds. The Wild Bird mix was basically formulated for bird feeders and isnt that good as the one and only food of any bird I dont think. I'm sure you are doing the right thing by your bird as you are looking for advice and information. In the end though, it was more the cage I had a problem with and the fact that she wasn't trying to find out more or accept advice when she clearly had no idea and even admitted to never having a bird before in her life. Either way, she gave up after a few weeks so I don't have to worry about him anymore.

I am from the Mid North Coast in NSW.
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

oh ok thanks.
yea there are people who think they know every thing and do not like listening to other peoples advice if though they dont have any idea what they are doing .

the only reason i feed her the parrot food is because it has sunflower seed and she loves it so much. she eats all the sunflower seeds first and if she gets really hungry she will go eat sunflower seeds from the ground and then go to the other seeds as a last resort. but she recently has started eating from the seed bars which had been placed for like 1.5 week.

i also have budgies =] so i am use to birds and would love to increase my knowledge on birds as i want to have more of them! to take care of.

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... 80&bih=619
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Yeah, I feed those seed bar treats to Shrek all the time. He loves them, then when he is finished he uses the plastic rod from the middle to do his mating dance. Just watch too many sunflower seeds. Its like candy and children, they will eat it above all else but it's not 100% the best so keep balancing it out with lots of fruit and vegies.
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

Shrek&Fiona wrote:Yeah, I feed those seed bar treats to Shrek all the time. He loves them, then when he is finished he uses the plastic rod from the middle to do his mating dance. Just watch too many sunflower seeds. Its like candy and children, they will eat it above all else but it's not 100% the best so keep balancing it out with lots of fruit and vegies.

yep i have done my research on that ( it makes them fat and bad for their health) , so i mix a bit of it with his meal and mix it in so he eats the others as well. but he is cheeky lmao so sometimes he pushes the other seeds away or sometimes throw's them away.
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Ratbags they are. Mine is the same. He adores fresh over sunflowers though so I'm lucky. Obviously his first home that he escaped from fed him a decent variety so he isn't picky about his fresh food. He is the cheekiest bird I have owned yet. I love him to bits though, he cracks me up all the time.
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

Shrek&Fiona wrote:Ratbags they are. Mine is the same. He adores fresh over sunflowers though so I'm lucky. Obviously his first home that he escaped from fed him a decent variety so he isn't picky about his fresh food. He is the cheekiest bird I have owned yet. I love him to bits though, he cracks me up all the time.
ye , mine likes fresh fruits , when i first placed it in her cage , she finished it in like 10 mins and after she finished it she chucked the cup out of her seed box.

what colour is your btw ? mine is green but i am still uncertain of her gender as she is too young to tell but as far as i know its a she =] because of that i haven't named it anything . =[
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Shrek is green. When I get him a mate I think it will be blue or maybe lutino. Not sure yet. Not trying to breed for mutations or to sell them for heaps, I just want him to have a fuller life than he has right now and I love babies. Have bred quail, cordon bleu waxbills and Budgies, plus helping my mum with the lovebirds. Time for a new challenge.
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

that is nice of you to help your mum ,
oh ok cool , well my IRN is too young still don't know if its a male or a female , but in like 2 years time, i will either have to get him/her a mate or adopt one from someone.
After i get enough experince i will breed and take care of cockatoo's, Gullah's, macaw's, rainbow lorkiets, cockatials, loverbirds, 28 parrot's , amazon's, scaly loriket's , gray African parrot's, Corella's, quaker's, eclectus parrot's, greencheek conure's, western rosella's and last but not least lory's =]

preferably a breeding pair of each. =]

i know its a big list lmao , but that does not mean all of them at once, because there is no way in the world i will be able to handle so many birds and work etc at the same time because i want to tame them etc.
Shrek&Fiona

Post by Shrek&Fiona »

Hahaha, yeah, my list is pretty decent as well. I have an array of parrots, finches, doves, and then there is a whole list of 'assorted' as well. I may never get some of them but it's fun to dream. Then there is my list of non feathered creatures including scorpians, more snakes and spiders, dogs, ferrets, rats, fish, etc. If I had millions I would buy lots of land and go seriously nuts. I'd probably have to employ people to help me though. For now though, after I get Shrek sorted, the next on my list is Sun Conures, then maybe back to finches for some variety, or maybe my next snake, who knows.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Welcome to the forum
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue