my scared IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

bambooozel

my scared IRN

Post by bambooozel »

Hi guys about 5 days ago i bought a 5 month old green IRN n whenever i walk in the room or even remotely get near the cage it starts to shake and sometimes to make a sound which is quite loud and im very frustrated can you help me
quite IRN

Re: my scared IRN

Post by quite IRN »

umm by shake do you mean he moves around a lot or actually shakes?

because shaking is a sign of illness, research about it. but besides that it could be that he is really scared so give him time and try to calm him down, by sitting around his cage and just talking to him at a soft voice and try not to move much ( if you have to move then move at a really slow manner) when he gets better at that then place your hand in the cage and just keep it in there for a while (do not attempt to touch him) and then take your hand out (while doing this try not do have much direct eye contact as they feel your are trying to hunt them like they would be at the wild.) and latter on when he is no longer scared of hand then place some food on your hand and let him eat from there.

please note : this is not a 1 day training session, it takes a lot of time but that depends on your IRN (some take longer than others), also don't be scared when he uses his beak ( birds use there beaks to feel and touch things) because a scared owner only makes the bird more scared, also if he bits don't push him off etc because he will think that is a way for him getting away from you.

by doing this you are demonstrating that you cause no hard to him which improves your relationship with him.

I had the same problem with my IRN but he did not shake , he just moved around a lot, he still does it since its only been 2 weeks but it has reduced. so be patient.

oh and IRN's are loud so that is something you will have to live with lmao =] ( mine barley makes a noise, i don't know why and i want him to make noises =S

hope this helps.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
bambooozel

Post by bambooozel »

when i said shakes i meant it shakes in fear cause all day long it's sitting and eating and playing with its toys but when i get close to it i tried to open the cage for it and it has come out of the cage and walked around the room but if i come close to it to try and put it in the cage it would make very loud noises but over all when i bought it i took it to a vet and its very healthy but im very frustrated
Melika

Post by Melika »

You might also try using your IRNs favourite food. Every time you walk in the room or walk over to the cage, drop it's favourite treat in the bowl. Then seeing you can become a positive thing. :)

Also, welcome to the board. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
bambooozel

Post by bambooozel »

thnx i guess its better now cause i like to open its cage and let it out.... it spent the entire day playing with toys i put for him and not screaming when i get close to it
quite IRN

Post by quite IRN »

hey by any chance do you live in Australia, Sydney, in Fairfield area because around my house , i can hear a really loud Indian ring-neck but i cant find it , i am just wondering if its yours or someone Else's.

thank you.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wessel Gordon

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi

Something else you can try is putting your computer desk in the same room as the bird if you spend a lot of time on your computer...or you could just sit and read a book or enjoy coffee. That way the bird starts to see you as something familiar, especially if you drop a favorite treat in the food dish whenever you walk in.

As for the noise IRN's have a naturally shrill call/scream. The noise my four IRN's are capable of over feeding times are unbelievable but it's nothing compared to the Sun Conure breeding pair and their four offspring I had awhile ago.

Just be patient...he'll calm down eventually.
bambooozel

Post by bambooozel »

no i do not live in australia and thank you wessel but there is a slight problem im goin on vacation for a couple of months and my IRN was not bred in the pet shop it was obtained from the wild and im gonna leave it with my father who is not good with handling birds what should i do ???
bambooozel

Post by bambooozel »

i have no idea what age it was caught but what i know is its 5 months old and no it does not take treats between the bars it plays with it toys and eats allot but if i get a little to close to the cage it starts to shiver but im going to keep with a friend of mine whos got a parrot and will probably know how to tame Alex
bambooozel

Post by bambooozel »

i had some great success with alex in the last month i mean now he eats off my hand and allows me to touch him slightly but earlier tonight while i was away his wing got stuck between the cage bars and i tried to help him every time i tried to touch his wing he would yell at the top off his lung !!!!!. is he gonna lose the trust i earned ???