hi, never realy cared much for birds!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

bluetoffy

hi, never realy cared much for birds!

Post by bluetoffy »

Hi all,
I've never realy been fond of pet birds to be honest, just didn't see the point until my son brought one home!
We advertised a lost bird and informed the police but no one has clamed the little bugger and after telling the kids not to get attached I think its me who is now attached. Still very wary of him actually I think he's a she.
I am quite enjoying having a bird now, but not this bite on my thum!
Azure

Re: hi, never realy cared much for birds!

Post by Azure »

well i dont think your alone! many people would have not appreciated a pet bird until they actually got one! IRNs tend to bite but generally its a nibble that leaves you with a sore thumb not intentional (as bites are intentional and do bleed!)

anyways, welcome to the forum, have fun and have a great experience with your bird! :D
ps. we'd love some pictures!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
bluetoffy

Post by bluetoffy »

Thanks for the reply, the bite is quite a nasty one really. I’m a little scared of her if I’m honest, she comes over to the bars of the cage tips her head back and clucks at me, sometimes she allows me to stroke her chest but them other times she try’s (it seems) to trick me into sticking my finger out so she can bite but up until yesterday she wouldn’t allow me to touch her outside the cage. Yesterday she jumped down to the floor, ran over to my leg, climbed up it (I was sitting) and started to cluck on my knee. I was very surprised but maybe a little nervously I stroked her chest and everything was fine but once I rested my hand back on the chair she ran over and bit me! Very soft at first so I never moved my hand then it got harder and harder until she broke the skin and for such a little cut it bled quite a lot. This is all very confusing :? , does she like me or not? Not being able to tell her age isn’t helping either as I think this could be what you call bluffing? Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS photos to follow.
Azure

Post by Azure »

bluetoffy wrote:Yesterday she jumped down to the floor, ran over to my leg, climbed up it (I was sitting) and started to cluck on my knee. I was very surprised but maybe a little nervously I stroked her chest and everything was fine but once I rested my hand back on the chair she ran over and bit me! Very soft at first so I never moved my hand then it got harder and harder until she broke the skin and for such a little cut it bled quite a lot. This is all very confusing :? , does she like me or not? Not being able to tell her age isn’t helping either as I think this could be what you call bluffing? Any advice would be much appreciated.
i think that she wanted your attention (-or at least the attention of your hand!) and to ran to get the attention of the hand back... so maybe you should have reacted to the bite softly to tell her that you are paying attention- that's one explaination for it
sometimes, "tricking" you may just be playing with you- but do you shout or jerk (or do anything drastic) when she does? if so SHE MAY SEE ANY RESPONSE TO A BITE AS POSITIVE!

@Ariahna- a few of the active posters ARE experts but you are correct- the majourity are less experiences (i think that this is because IRNs and co. are still relatively uncommon birds compared to budgies, canaries etc!)
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet