What happens after 4 years??

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

little_lena

What happens after 4 years??

Post by little_lena »

Hi there!

So we've had our little green Ringneck for about 6 months now (she's still just a baby!) and she's quite a character! Aside from a minor attitude problem she's quite cute! She was hand reared so she is fairly tame and loves beeing handled. :)

Anyway, recently i went to a bird pet shop so that I could get her wings clipped, and the guy there was adamant that after 4 years of age female Ringneck's in particular go feral. He only had bad things to say about her and told us we only had a few years left of her being a tame bird! What he said was, once they start laying eggs, all they think about is breeding and the surge of hormones causes them to "forget that they're a tame bird" and that she would bite and attack us etc.. He said that the only solution is to put them in an avairy outside - that they make horrible pets when they're past 4 years of age. Lena is our first bird so we don't have a lot of experience with birds.

The whole family has become very fond of Lena, and we would be upset if this was actually to happen, so my question is, does anyone out there have nice, tame older female Ringnecks? Any information on what happens to them after they mature around 4 yrs would be much appriciated! i truly hope that what he said was not true! Hope someone can help us out!

Thanks in advance :)
Jay2011

Re: What happens after 4 years??

Post by Jay2011 »

My answer is SLAP HIM IN THE FACE HARD he does not know what he is talking about if i bird is kept tame from a baby they will not become semi tame or un tame they will be tame when they lay eggs they may not want as much human contact and when u enter cage may be bit scared as she has eggs but she will be tame so go back and give him one hard slap in the face for doing a crap job some people will agree but i will not agree as i know plenty of IRN keepers and not once have i heard of one of there birds becoming un tame its like me saying i got taught how to walk when i was a baby but now im older i dont walk lol dont listen to him
misty

Post by misty »

Hi little_lena
I’m sorry but I would not get any thing other then supplies from this pet shop. The person telling you these things obviously dose not know what he is talking about. Granted every parrot is different but if you take good care of your little one and give him/her lots of love, attention, good diet, exercise, and 10 -12 hours of sleep per night. Then you will continue to have that for the next 30+ years with your little one. You might see some attitude changes as he/she matures but this is normal as his/her personality is still developing and maturing. He/she may get a bit grumpy during breeding season but it will pass.
I hope this helps some what. (Don’t listen to the man at the pet shop. He’s giving out bad information.)
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi little_lena.

I am glad you posted that information, I must go tell my 5 yr old hand raised IRN HEN that it is now time to change her attitude and start being aggressive towards me instead of wanting to sit on my shoulder. Especially now this will be her third breeding season.
Oh well, maybe she is a bit 'slower' in reacting than most ringies, she is a lutino after all! :wink: :P :lol: :lol: