Aloha from Hawaii

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

kim808

Aloha from Hawaii

Post by kim808 »

Hi, my name is Kim and I live in Kauai, Hawaii. Wild IRNs have exploded in population here over the past 10 years, from a few hundred to thousands. Being that I used to work at a vet clinic and I have lovebirds and finches, people have brought me injured IRN's (broken wings) to care for and keep. I have 2 adults, and have had no problems with feeding etc.

Then, 2 days ago, someone brought be a young IRN that seemed to have been blown from it's nest at high winds or it's first flight, and I had no idea how to care for it. It won't eat seeds, but loves fruits and seems to "suck" on them, esp. watermelon. It has all it's feathers, but still has some pin feathers and baby down looking feathers under it's adult feathers.

From looking at pictures on your site and the way it's acting I'm guessing it's close to 12 weeks old. It's very loveable, wanting to be carried, and has no fear of people or animals. I'm afraid I'm not giving it all the nutrients it needs and it spends 1/2 the day sleeping.

Could it be a hand-raised baby that escaped or are baby IRN's that haven't had human contact this trusting and easily bonded? It seems unsteady on it's feet, not good with using it's beak or legs to climb, and has a hard time, just walking around the cage. But it will cuddle on my chest for hours while I'm at the computer and then sit on my shoulder while it's awake for several hours at a time.

I think it's too old for formula, any advice? thanks, this is a great site!!

aloha,
Kim
RicksterBoy

Re: Aloha from Hawaii

Post by RicksterBoy »

Hi Kim-
Im new here and also new to having an IRN (LOVING IT) -
I enjoyed your post and was curious how things are going.
Sincerely,
Jackie
Azure

Post by Azure »

it seems that it is well off for formula as you have already not been feeding baby formula... just introduce to it a variety of food including cooked and/or raw fruit and greens. give it a TINY amount of sunflower as it can cause rickets ESP in young birds!

still... welcome Kim and i hope you get a great experience on the site!
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet
kim808

Post by kim808 »

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. It has now been 3 weeks and "Midori Tori" (green bird in Japanese) went from only sucking on watermelon, to just papayas, and then taking a little bit of peach baby food, and is now eating a variety of fruits, millet spray, and seeds over the past 10 days. She still has only made one little noise, but nothing since. I can still carry her, but now she recognizes things and gets afraid of certain things (like my cat!)

Thanks again everyone, this experience is such a joy! Aloha!
Azure

Post by Azure »

it is good that you and your bird are getting on very well :D
Azure
Just a "bookworm" (or rather an internetworm?) who has no ringneck(s) but REALLY wants a cobalt or violet