Hello!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Sam Ham

Hello!

Post by Sam Ham »

Hello everyone! This site has been a wonderful resource so far. I'm glad to have found it!

I'm currently fostering a 10-year-old IRN called Q-Bird. If everything works out, I plan on adopting him! He was on an all seed diet in his previous home, so I'm slowly converting him to a healthier diet. Luckily, he is very curious and has tried all the food I've given him. He's particularly fond of carrots. Q-Bird is a little rough looking now--he's got stress bars and some other brown markings on his feathers, but I'm sure he'll brighten up with time and lots of healthy food.

When I was informed that I'd be fostering Q-Bird, I was told that he was male. When I first saw him at the vet, all I could think was that Q-Bird was a female. But the vet said she'd make a bet that, even without a ring, Q-Bird was still a male. I've done tons of research, but I've never come across anything about a mature male IRN without a ring, even with nutritional deficiencies.

So I keep calling Q-Bird a "he," but he certainly looks like a she.

misty

Re: Hello!

Post by misty »

Hi and welcome. :D
That is one lucky little bird that you got her/him and are doing better by her. I bet it is a she. DNA will tell with out a doubt.(I would wait till she is healthy first)I have had IRNs sense 1990 I'm also a vet. tech. and I have never seen a male with out a ring even with nutritional issues. (but I could be wrong lol)
Was this an avian vet?
Good luck with her. An welcome again :D
pinkdevil

Re: Hello!

Post by pinkdevil »

:lol: :lol: If the bird is 10 yrs old as stated, then I am fairly certain Q-Bird is a definite girl.
Why would the vet be leaning towards a male? Have they surgically or DNA sexed Q-Bird?

That face in the second last photo shows lots of character.

Welcome to the site to! :D