Hello i'm new ... please help

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

nicola moore

Hello i'm new ... please help

Post by nicola moore »

Hi everyone :)
One of my indian ringnecks is pulling her feathers out, she has pulled all of her tail off, wings and now starting to pull out chest and back. I have had her about 2 years, we found her in our garden. She has grown her tail and feathers back beautifully and about 6 months later pulled them all out again. she is in a good sized cage, always changing and buying new toys, feed her lots of different fruit and veg. Can anyone please help me and give me advise. Thank you
dog_glenn123

Re: Hello i'm new ... please help

Post by dog_glenn123 »

She may have lice!
Take her to avet if you unsure.
check her over for any lice, buy some treatment for lice (spray) and worm her,

They do have very big mults and loose heaps of feathers including the tail fetahers.

If she is not bleeding at all it should be OK.

If she doesnt have lice you can buy another spray thats called stop pick.

Thanks Glenn
nicola moore

Post by nicola moore »

Thanks glenn, i have tried the stop pick spray and that hasnt worked and she doesnt let you go anywhere near her she gets very frightened, its also hard for me to check for lice.. her cage is kept indoors by the window and i keep it very clean i dont think she has lice but i think a visit to the vet is my next move.
misty

Post by misty »

I would definitely get her to an avian vet. Nutritional deficiency's and parasites can be a cause, also boredom. If all comes out healthy from the vet then I would suggest getting her started on foraging, preening, and puzzle toys to keep her active. These birds are very intelligent right up there with african greys an cockatoos. They need things to keep them thinking. Like foraging an puzzle toys. Good luck :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Hi nicola and welcome.

How did you go with your birds feather loss problem? Did you end up taking her to a vet?